Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

The people who owned their house before them had an illegal rooster. They didn’t keep their birds in a coop. He would start crowing at 2:30 every night right outside my bedroom window.

Rooster restrictions should be similar to dog restrictions. No more than 7. Keep them in your own yard. Properly housed. Observe quiet hours, 10pm-7am….
That is what I said at city hall when they asked how many roosters I had .. My rooster does not wake everyone ..
Afternoon all in the Pond. We all miss Sour ....

Last edited:
I eat it right out of the jar. It’s no different than a can of chicken from the store. It cooks while processing.
I was just wondering about that because when you do green beans, etc. they're fully cooked in processing, but my family would always boil them for at least 5 min before eating in case of any bacteria from the canning process.

The 5 quail chicks from the first "test hatch" got moved out to the quail enclosure. We only kept 6 over winter this year, so once they have a chance to get to know each other through the cage, I'll let them associate.

We hatched another 12 or so this week but I think this will be the end of the quail journey for us.

At some point, the cost of keeping them (the crazy price of game bird feed) make it not super cost effective for the amount of meat.
IMG_20220518_134252325_HDR.jpg

I was just wondering about that because when you do green beans, etc. they're fully cooked in processing, but my family would always boil them for at least 5 min before eating in case of any bacteria from the canning process.
I figure the pressure canning process kills all that. Maybe your family canned beans by HWB?

My grandmother only did HWB, but she never canned meat. She did jelly, tomatoes, ...... all beans were frozen....

I remember the cupboard where all the jars were stored.... but now i am blanking as to what was in them!!! :barnie

I would help her with the jelly and the tomatoes... oh, and the pickles! Lots of pickles! Still kills me that her pickling recipe is gone for forever!

Pickles and tomatoes was just HWB, but for jelly, we first covered the jelly with a paraffin seal, then put them in the HWB. And we always reused the paraffin.

Back
Top Bottom