Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

My grandmother only did HWB, but she never canned meat. She did jelly, tomatoes, ...... all beans were frozen....

I remember the cupboard where all the jars were stored.... but now i am blanking as to what was in them!!! :barnie

I would help her with the jelly and the tomatoes... oh, and the pickles! Lots of pickles! Still kills me that her pickling recipe is gone for forever!

Pickles and tomatoes was just HWB, but for jelly, we first covered the jelly with a paraffin seal, then put them in the HWB. And we always reused the paraffin.
My mom loved using paraffin - last summer when she stayed with me she got upset that I used lids on my jelly.

Yeah, all those acidic foods just need boiled, not pressurized. Kind of nice.

We never had grocery store produce all the time I was a kid. Dad's garden/orchard provided all we needed. And we ate certain things only seasonally, like lettuce, because they couldn't be stored, frozen, or canned. I think this stemmed from living so far from a store for lots of years and then continued even though we moved into a town because it was 'what we did'. 🙂

Wow! Paraffin! That’s so cool & vintage & complicated sounding.

We do try to eat seasonally, within reason. Luckily our location helps with that.

Al, what happened to the recipe? If you remember how they tasted maybe you can recreate it eventually.

Orr, if I remember right the lure of quail is how fast you can eat & regenerate your supply. Probably not as import at the moment, but if heaven forbid things go totally sideways, they might be worth reconsidering. 🤔

Wow! Paraffin! That’s so cool & vintage & complicated sounding.

We do try to eat seasonally, within reason. Luckily our location helps with that.

Al, what happened to the recipe? If you remember how they tasted maybe you can recreate it eventually.

Orr, if I remember right the lure of quail is how fast you can eat & regenerate your supply. Probably not as import at the moment, but if heaven forbid things go totally sideways, they might be worth reconsidering. 🤔
Yeah, that's what we decided when we kept a few over winter. Just in case.

If we did keep on w them, we need some new stock to breed in. We had some oddities with the last 2 hatches that I'm pretty sure are inbreeding issues. I should have been better with keeping track of who came from which farm initially.

Yeah... I'm always saying I'm done with something or other, and then I'm not. Will I ever be able to retire? I keep going back to school. Will I ever get rid of my birds? Well, not if I can't stop shoving eggs under the latest broody!! 😂 So quail??? Ugh. I don't know.

Family blah... so I didn't get the recipe box... and I think those who got it tossed it...

I have tried over the years... haven't yet gotten it exactly right.

Yeah, that's what we decided when we kept a few over winter. Just in case.

If we did keep on w them, we need some new stock to breed in. We had some oddities with the last 2 hatches that I'm pretty sure are inbreeding issues. I should have been better with keeping track of who came from which farm initially.

Yeah... I'm always saying I'm done with something or other, and then I'm not. Will I ever be able to retire? I keep going back to school. Will I ever get rid of my birds? Well, not if I can't stop shoving eggs under the latest broody!! 😂 So quail??? Ugh. I don't know.
Well... selling the baby quail might pay for their feed

Back
Top Bottom