Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Good Evening, Pond!
I finally had a few moments to observe my flock and take a couple of pictures. Let me introduce my two cockerels:

Andy (the Blue Andalusian)
F1883D20-2E52-44F6-B315-38D83513717E.jpeg

And Red (for obvious reasons)
55E91ECE-92F0-4FD4-87A8-3DF90D69E072.jpeg

Andy is definitely the dominant male. Andy is all over the place, checking out this and that, mated a few hens, tried to get the attention of a couple more with the wing drop and dance, and pretty much strutted his stuff everywhere he went. At one point, Red found a few soybeans that had fallen off the truck and was trying to entice some of the girls over with the tidbit cluck. Andy heard it, strutted over and flapped his wings a bit, sending Red on his way. A bit later, I heard some squawking and begawking, so I went to investigate. Andy was making all the noise, under cover. There was not a chicken to be seen, except for Red who was wandering around, still trying to find someone to impress. I don’t know if something flew over or what, but they had been scattered all over the place packing around, and then they weren’t. Andy gets points for being observant.

This is my (I think) Andalusian hen. I’m hoping I can keep her and Andy alive long enough to get some babies out of them.
60749943-0DBD-4F68-80D4-6D1EB426D3E0.jpeg

The following are from Betty’s first hatch. The darker one is the one I thought was a cockerel, but after a closer look, I’m changing my vote. I see no roostery type feathers on either of them.

7CAE2B08-5835-4FB5-91B1-483E343E519F.jpeg

D114163C-D716-4E72-889A-3483B222CDF2.jpeg

@dan26552 miserable day here. Third day in a row of rain - chilly, windy, but I don't dare complain as we need the rain.
That's no fun. Hope it's sunny skies tomorrow! Could definitely use rain here
Nice!

How soon will you be able to hatch eggs out of them?

:lau
Yeah!! Lol.

Well, my buff pullet is about 5 months old, the cockerel I got is about 10 weeks so he's got a few months to go before he's breeding age 🤣 the partridges are about 6 weeks old. So, spring, definitely in the spring.

My new cockerel
IMG20221003192012.jpg
IMG20221003192028.jpg
IMG20221003192042.jpg

Good Evening, Pond!
I finally had a few moments to observe my flock and take a couple of pictures. Let me introduce my two cockerels:

Andy (the Blue Andalusian)
View attachment 3279887

And Red (for obvious reasons)
View attachment 3279889

Andy is definitely the dominant male. Andy is all over the place, checking out this and that, mated a few hens, tried to get the attention of a couple more with the wing drop and dance, and pretty much strutted his stuff everywhere he went. At one point, Red found a few soybeans that had fallen off the truck and was trying to entice some of the girls over with the tidbit cluck. Andy heard it, strutted over and flapped his wings a bit, sending Red on his way. A bit later, I heard some squawking and begawking, so I went to investigate. Andy was making all the noise, under cover. There was not a chicken to be seen, except for Red who was wandering around, still trying to find someone to impress. I don’t know if something flew over or what, but they had been scattered all over the place packing around, and then they weren’t. Andy gets points for being observant.

This is my (I think) Andalusian hen. I’m hoping I can keep her and Andy alive long enough to get some babies out of them.
View attachment 3279901

The following are from Betty’s first hatch. The darker one is the one I thought was a cockerel, but after a closer look, I’m changing my vote. I see no roostery type feathers on either of them.

View attachment 3279906

View attachment 3279907
I agree... the mostly grown are both females! Way to go!!!

Lady! Lock up that shiny shiny blue man, with his nice blue hen, and get yourself some chicks! Nothing like a little winter hatch to spice up life!!

:lau

Back
Top Bottom