Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Good Evening, Pond!

It seems that everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. Ours was last-minute and low key. We didn’t know if we were going to be home or not, depending on when baby decided to arrive. Our newest grandson was born a week ago today. Mom and baby are both doing well. We headed to IA at 5:00 am that day to ride herd on Big Brother until they came home from the hospital. (When we went to the hospital to meet the baby, the 2-year old was not impressed. He was ready to leave after about 5 minutes. When the parents brought the baby home, Big Brother looked in the car seat, looked at me and asked, “Will you hold him?” So I took the baby. I was barely settled in the rocking chair when BB looked at his parents and said, “Will you play with me?”) We went home on Tuesday and picked up a turkey on the way. We had local son and DIL, two grandkids and my mom here. Granddaughter (3) stayed for a sleepover on Thursday night, then the mother came and swapped her out for grandson Friday night. I baked a batch of cookies with each kid, and when the parents brought GD back out for the day on Saturday, the kids and I decorated the Christmas tree.

Sour, I hope your granddaughter heals well and without complications. The mental/emotional trauma may take longer.

Al, sawdust pie sounds delicious! I love pecan pie, and this sounds like Pecan Pie Supreme!

Sour, I hope your granddaughter heals well and without complications. The mental/emotional trauma may take longer.
Thanks - she is already having nightmares. She is fearful of resuming running, but her mother runs her own business from home and SIL frequently works from home as does grand daughter. They have told her that one or the other will run with her when she resumes running.

Thanks - she is already having nightmares. She is fearful of resuming running, but her mother runs her own business from home and SIL frequently works from home as does grand daughter. They have told her that one or the other will run with her when she resumes running.
Poor girl - I can’t even imagine the fear she must have felt, not to mention the pain.

I found a recipe that includes 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs also. Is this the one you use?
pre bake the pie shell.
1 1/2 c flaked coconut
1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 c pecans, chopped
1 1/2 c sugar
1 c egg whites

Combine all but the egg whites. Those whip till foamy add other ingredients to foam this goes in pie shell . 350 oven uncovered 35 minutes
I think that is it... i will ask the kid tomorrow.

Good morning pond. Wet and chilly but not really cold. I'm sitting here at the oral surgeon. God worked a couple miracles for us over the past week or two. DD is getting her wisdom teeth out this morning. Her consult was about 10 days ago and they told us that her insurance wasn't going to be accepted after the 30th of this month. Well, there ended up being a cancelation that she could slip right in to so here we are. She's nervous and a bit upset that it's happening so quickly but everything will be ok :) There have been a couple other little miracles happening. DH found out he is getting a raise, which will be enough to cover the cost of us getting insurance through his work (i can't get insurance through mine since I'm seasonal). It's too late to sign up for this coming year but next January, we'll be able to do it. When our septic pump went out, we were able to fix it ourselves and got it going while it was still beautiful out (it snowed the next day and has been yucky out since). DS made district band even after a horrible audition (his clarinet had an issue). It's his senior year and he was so stressed out over it because of he didn't make it in here, he wouldn't be able to move on to regionals or states. We decided to give him his big Christmas present early this year which is a much nicer wood clarinet. Since it's his senior year and he has multiple concerts this month, we figured we might as well. It was a miracle that I found that for sale online. The lady selling it had no clue what she had (wasn't a musician and didn't really care). I got it for $50 and it's only going to cost $100 to get it cleaned up and conditioned for him to play it and it should be ready just in time for everything. His face lit up like a Christmas tree when he saw it :) He's been using an old, pieced together, plastic clarinet that he put together from random pieces in a bin at a flea market since 5th grade. He bought it himself for $30 back then. "Clarice" has served him well, but he's long overdue for something nice lol. Sorry for the long rambling. I'm nervous for DD while she's in surgery lol.

@sourland I'm so sorry your granddaughter had to go through this! That's such a traumatic thing to have to recover from. Sending prayers for her physical and mental recovery!

Back
Top Bottom