well, are they? and if so, which one looks better?

haTHOR

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Near Asheville, NC
Was told these are ameracauna, not from hatchery, from local lady who sells to the health food store.

eggs from pullet sisters to these boys reported to be "blue blue".

how do they look? is one better than the others?

26306_lights_on_the_square_dec_1_2011_042.jpg

26306_lights_on_the_square_dec_1_2011_044.jpg

26306_lights_on_the_square_dec_1_2011_045.jpg

i think two of these pics are of the same bird.

Blue x blue = 50% blue, 25% black, 25% splash
Blue x black = 50% blue, 50% black
Black x splash = 100% blue
Splash x blue = 50% blue, 50% splash
Splash x splash = 100% splash
Black x black = 100% black

Or you could use a punnet square ( I think that's what their called)
Black = BB
Blue = Bb
Splash = bb

This is splash (pic from Feathersite.com)
72239_callie.jpeg

Ok, that is what I thought...I must have misheard the seller or she misspoke. I thought, these are clearly black, but what do I know? lol

Thanks for the input!

ha, i got your "number", lol. i did check back in with her and the breeder said that when they were babies these two had some white under their wings. she considered them splash due to that. should i consider them as such for my plans in breeding? thank you!

ha, i got your "number", lol. i did check back in with her and the breeder said that when they were babies these two had some white under their wings. she considered them splash due to that. should i consider them as such for my plans in breeding? thank you!

Nope, they're black. Solid black chickens can have some white in them as chicks and then it molts out. I'm surprised a breeder wouldn't know that.

to be clear, i checked back in with the woman who sold to me...she bought several chicks before sexing from the breeder, and was telling me what the breeder said. So I may be getting a bit of mix up in the repeating of the conversation. I have the breeder's info so I'll check in with her since I really do need to know what's up.

Back
Top Bottom