1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well crud, 2 didn't come home. UPDATE! They're both home and safe!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Athenzchick, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Athenzchick

Athenzchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Athens Ohio
    So I let my flock out to free range today. First time for this. They did great and seemed to really enjoy roaming around. Getting close to dark I went up to lock everyone up and saw my partridge rock wandering the opposite direction. I tried and tried to grab her but she ran into the woods and wouldn't come out. So I went to the coop and did a head count, I'm also missing my six-year-old's blue silkie, Camillia. I have absolutely NO idea where she may be. I just hope she wandered a little too far and hunkered down for the night. As for the rock, I hope to see her come morning. I feel terrible.

crud, crud, crud.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Crud indeed. I sure hope they'll be okay and come back. But first time out they may need you to find them.....
    JJ

3. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:Bummer!

I hope they both show up tomorrow morning and NEVER pull this kind of nonsense again. [​IMG]

Dang.

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    You may need to get them back to safety as possums, raccoons, owls and other predatory animals may find and kill them.

5. alcap

alcap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Please let us know what happens in the morning [​IMG]

6. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    When they come home you should ground them. Seriously though, I hope they show up in the morning. I would be a mess. I can barely let my girls out for 30min alone because I am a panicked mess

7. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I place a dog crate or something for them to get in right next to the chicken pen. Any strays usually will go in it so I can pick it up and place it in the pen. Try this for net time. Really hope they are there in the morning!!!!!!

8. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I hope you see them squawking at you in the AM. I locked one of mine out last night in a driving wind/rain storm. I didn't do a headcount like I usually do. She was out this morning clucking like mad wondering where everybody was. She was hiding under one of their bunkers in the run. Just like teen-agers! Good luck![​IMG]

9. Athenzchick

Athenzchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Athens Ohio
    Thanks everyone. I've been out looking for them a few times this evening. My husband's out right now, hopefully he will find them. He's never tracked a chicken before though. [​IMG]

10. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Tell hubby to look up in the trees. They'll look for safe roosts up high. Hope you find them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by