Well I am an idiot...brahma's & orps?

annrich

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2007
Western NY
Ok you breed experts..... I had the "brilliant" idea of splitting a chick order with my cousin. She doesn't realy care what breed she has. She is just in it for the eggs if you know what I mean? I on the other hand love my chickens to death. (no pun inteneded)
Well her 3 year old has taken an interest in her layers and wants to play. and pet them, So I told her I would order some buff orp chicks with my new spring order. because they are so docile. I thought I would be able to tell them apart. One of my breeds is the light brahma. Now after looking at baby pictures. I don't think I will be able to tell my brahmas from her orps.

What do I do now? The order has been placed. I have a delivery date. uggg.

Last edited:
Two things to remember...Your Light Brahmas will have feathering on their legs and the Buff Orps have whitish legs...hope this helps...

Last edited:
Arnt the beaks also a lighter color? Also when they come in post pics of the babies so we can help you out
smile.png

Last edited:
I've never seen either chick, but on the McMurray website, you can find pics of chicks. I ordered the same ones, and printed out the chick pics to post on my fridge. The Brahmas look like they have dark backs in the picks.

No mistaking Light Brahmas from Buff Orp chicks the leg feathering are a dead give away!...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom