Well I did my best... (Ascites) here's the story!

PalomaNova

Songster
5 Years
Jul 4, 2018
Europe
A little story with the hopes to learn smth I don't know yet from everyone who reads it.

I found one of my chickens in a penguin stance and immediately suspected egg bound situation.
E8156536-A382-4680-9DBD-F809A6D8A96E.jpeg

After 3 bath salts and aaaa loooot of reading I checked for egg and there was none. You can see how miserable she looked...
But what I did find was a swollen hard belly.
2F078DCA-EB4C-4B4B-80AA-EC2B7B1D3CAB.jpeg

Okay so now I've figured out its ascites and all I read is you can't help it. I decide to end the pain and the misery for the chicken but hubby sais to wait till tomorrow, maybe she's better.
In the meantime I read a lot to try to understand it and I come across info that tells me there's a chance for her - I needed to drain the liquid and hope for the best.
After a very negative experience (and a very large bill) with the vet with one of my young chickens that died immediately after the visit (Thanks to misdiagnosis and mistreatment on top of the problem) I wasn't ready to give up.

So next morning first thing I go to the pharmacy to get a 18g needle. I locate the point where to draw the liquid and I do it. It was quite An experience to somebody who faints seeing blood but I was somehow strong and had some internal motivation that managed to get me through it!
8249B4FA-5263-44C0-BCD8-D669B50F65DF.jpeg

Over the course of couple of days I do it 3 times total. I think in total I got probably 0,7L of liquid. Well 0.5l for sure! It had a very darker greenish yellow colour, within a slight ammonia fowl smell (my nose is quite sensitive..)
After the first procedure the chicken looks already more alive. By the evening she even starts to eat and drink a little. While I "hunt" for baytril, I put her on amoxicilin that I have at hand (the best next thing). Here where I live baytril is very difficult to get.
The next day I take her a bit outside since it was warm and nice but she doesn't go anywhere just continues to stand like a penguin so I understand she is not better. Once she's is back to her box to rest she lays probably for half an hour with her eyes closed making me realizes it was tools soon to let her roam a little.
E7BF7B73-D580-48F3-B694-BF23C09F5244.jpeg

You see, the other side of the story is that we found a couple of lash eggs in the last couple of months. We didn't manage to find out which chicken it was until my SO one day saw a brown chicken lay a smaller lash egg in his presence. The only problem was that we had 3 brown chickens and he couldn't tell which one it was...
So now I'm pretty convinced that this is the chicken with the lash egg (salpingitis) problem that eventually developed into ascites.

3 days later from finding her (2 days later from the first draining procedure) she is doing better I can say. Today she's gotta her first baytril dose and had the 3rd draining procedure with the hopes it was the last one (no more liquid feels to remain there) and with the hopes it won't refill... Well, maybe I'm being naive... And still hope I'm not...

Happy to hear other people experiences and thoughts on this especially those related to salpingitis.
Some pics to enrich the story attached.

Attachments

• 931CFA95-EFCA-41AC-BA49-DE2146C15E31.jpeg
    931CFA95-EFCA-41AC-BA49-DE2146C15E31.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Oh wow, very interesting situation. I don't know much about salpingitis, but hopefully someone on here who knows what can be done about it will pop in.

I've never heard of ascites, but it's really cool that you were able to drain the fluid yourself and see her perk up a bit! Out of curiosity, how did you know it was ascites? I don't know that I would have figured that out if I were in your position, I'm very impressed!

Back
Top Bottom