Well I didn't think I had a predator.

We took the lid to a 5 gallon bucket, cut a hole and ran the pipe through it, squirrels can't get passed.
I wonder how that would work if you put the bucket with a hole in the base upside down on the pole. You must put it up the pole some. Too close to the ground and they could jump up on the lid/bucket and continue up the pole. Too bad to put a hole in a good bucket but then again you probably might not ever use it for anything else. I wonder can squirrels climb PVC piping? This is gonna drive me crazy (er) ....

I might have to get a mangey barn cat and post him out doors. My DIL has a 20lb Morris Cat. Wandered in from the city streets. I don't think it can walk even. She got the cat when she was a teenager and didn't realize not to feed it some much. He lives upstairs and you can hear him yowling all over the house. Maybe he wouldn't be a deterrent. I don't care for cats so that's out.
I refuse to be defeated by a squirrel.

Better people than those posting on these forums have been defeated by squirrels.

So I've just been letting the squirrels eat leftovers. I like feeding my birds outside for them to get some exercise etc. I keep my DE,PDZ and a bag of pine shavings in one heavy duty brow plastic trash can. Lid locks. And then I keep feed, scratch, oyster shell, and a freezer bag of meal worms in another brown trash can. Never did put back up my wild bird feeder. Too much snow below it and squirrels can jump up and eat up side down.

Now this morning I noticed a small (baby) squirrel on top of feed trash can. I thought he was eating a seed. But I went out to chase him off. OH NO he wasn't eating a seed he was EATING the trash can. Where the section is raised to close the can he had chewed several big holes. Now my feed will get wet. I've had the barrels for over 6 months without problems Off to True Value to but metal cans. OMG do squirrels have advanced degrees in destruction thievery, and general nuisance????

Last edited:
So I've just been letting the squirrels eat leftovers. I like feeding my birds outside for them to get some exercise etc. I keep my DE,PDZ and a bag of pine shavings in one heavy duty brow plastic trash can. Lid locks. And then I keep feed, scratch, oyster shell, and a freezer bag of meal worms in another brown trash can. Never did put back up my wild bird feeder. Too much snow below it and squirrels can jump up and eat up side down.

Now this morning I noticed a small (baby) squirrel on top of feed trash can. I thought he was eating a seed. But I went out to chase him off. OH NO he wasn't eating a seed he was EATING the trash can. Where the section is raised to close the can he had chewed several big holes. Now my feed will get wet. I've had the barrels for over 6 months without problems Off to True Value to but metal cans. OMG do squirrels have advanced degrees in destruction thievery, and general nuisance????
LOL I think they must!
Metal is better. May want to get some bungee cords to strap down the lids too. I have not had it happen, but a neighbor had raccoons that could take the lids of the metal ones even when the lids fit fairly snug. The raccoons have yet to figure out the bungee cords and it's been couple of years.

LOL I think they must!
Metal is better. May want to get some bungee cords to strap down the lids too. I have not had it happen, but a neighbor had raccoons that could take the lids of the metal ones even when the lids fit fairly snug. The raccoons have yet to figure out the bungee cords and it's been couple of years.
Or I could move to Ft Knox.

Ok so I went to True Value bought a 31 gallon metal trash can. It has a handle on the top and two bail handles on the sides. So I got 2 short bungee cords. I wrapped them around the handle on the top and then had to stretch them to capture the 2 bail handles on the sides. And then I yelled. "There you little bast**sds!!! Chew on that". We'll see.

Ok so I went to True Value bought a 31 gallon metal trash can. It has a handle on the top and two bail handles on the sides. So I got 2 short bungee cords. I wrapped them around the handle on the top and then had to stretch them to capture the 2 bail handles on the sides. And then I yelled. "There you little bast**sds!!! Chew on that". We'll see.
:gig:thumbsup

I am in agreement, they do have advanced degree's, I have a 5 gallon bucket with a screw on lid, you can see where they've been trying to eat the lid edge..lol..

This morning when I went out to feed I thought, "You wait and see those pesky squirrels will chew the bungee cords. Gotta get a tight good garbage garage so they can't get to my barrels. Raising chickens is a cake walk. Dealing with other critters is a PIA. Just saying.

Oh and now I have wild turkeys. I was around the corner scooping poop and all a sudden all of my four birds alerted. And started fussing loudly. I looked around the corner of my hen house and there were 2 huge wild turkeys.... dining. When they saw me they left on the run. Luckily the snow is hard so they can get away quickly. My 2 SLW proceeded to fly into the coop without my command. I bought 2 cheapie alumnimum 13x9 pans for food instead of directly on the ground and I picked them up after feeding. But of course my birds had to tip them and spill some.

Why do they do that? And my SLW like to stand right in the middle of their food. I think that's so only one can eat. Oh but I do love them. 19 F this morning but combs just cool. No frostbite yet. Bag Balm is right by the back door if I need it. One morning they were out eating at -9F. Did ok. Ate quick and back in the coop.

Now the blue jays are dining on meager leavings. They always get here first and I hope they clean up good and leave nothing for the squirrels. I wouldn't mind the squirrels if they weren't so destructive and hogs. I'm determined though. I did hang a suet cage on the coop and the nuthatch can land of it and eat. He's beautiful.,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom