1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well, I don't have to worry about my serama getting too cold!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silverlaced44, Dec 7, 2015.

1. silverlaced44

silverlaced44 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    Hi!
    I was worried me serama rooster would get to cold this winter but guess what? My leader hen has adopted him as "Her chick", I have been going up at night to close the coop, and every night she has him close to her, either under her wing or snuggling under her breast feathers, fast asleep. Has anyone else had things like this happen?

1 person likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some hens have a strong maternal instinct, sounds like your hen is treating him like her chick, I do enjoy seeing different and interesting behavior out of them.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How old is this little roo that your hen adopted? Yes, this recently happened in my own flock with a five-year old hen adopting three chicks when they were six weeks old.

Su-su literally took them under her wing, fed them, watched over them constantly, taught them stuff, and slept with them on either side of her on the roosting perch. She kept up her mothering until just recently when they reached four months of age.

And the really curious thing was she went into hormonal broodiness to do it.

4. silverlaced44

silverlaced44 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    He is about five months. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by