Well I finally broke down and ordered chicks from Ideal

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gritsar, Jan 28, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Don't know why I kept putting it off this time. I even called DH one more time and confirmed that he wouldn't mind another 12 birds running around. He's so supportive of me getting more it's scary. [​IMG]

So, I ordered from Ideal (of course). I specified no males added for warmth and extra straw added to the box. Shipping the first week in May.

I'm getting - 2 speckled sussex, 3 easter eggers, 4 naked necks and 3 salmon faverolles. All standards, all pullets.

My spoiled brahmas world is about to be turned upside down. [​IMG]

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Nice ! Hope it works out good! Cant wait for pics! When they coming?

3. parrillofarms

parrillofarms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2009
    vermont, il
    i like the easter eggers but the turkens look weird:eek: hope they all get to you safe.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They're coming the 5th of May. Warm enough to brood outside.
    I used to think turkens (naked necks) were ugly, but they've grown on me. Plus, I've heard that their personality makes up for their lack of outward beauty.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Chicks AND a Puppy!

You must be over the moon!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    CONGRATS!!!!

Hey, what is the small order charge ? I wanted to order only a small amount, but saw that the minimum is 25....
    your getting 12... so please please tell me the SECRET!!!! heheh

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    The small order charge is $7 then the QBC (Quarter Box Charge) is $8, so I ended up paying $15 plus $1.50 S & H

I didn't mind, but I guess other people might, I only ordered 10 chicks, bu now I'm thinking about adding some turkens since they seem to be friendly

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    You will looove your turkens! I have 4 hens and they are as sweet as they can be [​IMG]

9. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
  10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I see Jerseygirl already answered your question. Thanks Jersey [​IMG] Ideal doesn't have a chick minimum, only a minimum dollar amount.
    I don't mind telling you that my order total for the chicks I listed above, plus the small order charges, postal insurance etc. was $42.41. Had I ordered from "the other small order place" the chicks alone would have been more than that.

Just wait till the weather is more stable (springtime is the right time for chicks IMO), specify that you don't want males added for warmth and ask for extra straw to be placed in the box.

Jersey, add the turkens and we'll start an ugly bird revolution! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by