Well i guess these chickens arent so dumb after all.

DENALI

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
I couldnt stand it, i had to go out and check on them since this is the first night locked in the new coop. Peeked in with a flashlight and all 13 were on their new roost like nothing has changed. They looked a little crowded though so i need your opinion on roost sizing.
The temp roost i built is 3 feet wide with 3 tiers at about a 45 degree angle. They all seemed to be on there ok but i think if one would fart it would blow the others off that perch
big_smile.png

Anyhow is there a certain amount of linear feet of roost needed per bird? Thanks

I don't know the answer to that, but mine have plenty of roost space and still always squish together. It's a social/warmth thing I think.

I think I recall that they need at least one linear feet of roost per bird. One thing you can count on is the fact that no matter how much room you give them, they will all bunch up and snuggle together, no matter what the weather.

I read 10" linear space per bird, 18" from the wall (if you have roos; mine is about 15" and I have never seen tail feathers touch the wall...)

Even with the recommended space they may all huddle in spot on the roost every single night of their lives.

I have 25 feet of 5 ft wide roost. How many feet of roost do you think 35 chickens leave untouched?

Answer - 23 feet!

Crazy ole chickens! LOL

The article I read is 12" per bird, BUT if you put a temp roost in and all the birds are shifted to one side leaving half the roost empty then you got your answer, as the other folks said, they like to huddle to keep warm so they will tell you how much room they need.

And no they are not so stupid!!
frow.gif

I used some old wooden ladders and layered them at a 45degrees but as everyone else says they all gather on the top one and snuggle up all night long I am considering removing one of the tiers to make it easier to clean.

Back
Top Bottom