Well I just got 200 more ( pics added)

chickentender you can come down when ever we can get together no problem but if you want to pick my brain that want take because there aint much to pick at up there;) ,what are you looking to do?

Chicken Man,

We just bought a place with 12 acres and I am looking at raising chickens for meat and eggs, not only for ourselves, but to sell as well.

I am probably going to eventually add a couple calfs and pigs to feed out so that we have a variety of meats. But the first step is to convert an old workshop into the coop and add a run to it. The coop will be 20'x36' and is a cinder block building with 10' ceiling.

I want to start with around 200, and go from there as I learn. I am new to chickens, but not raising animals altogether. I grew up raising and processing rabbits, about 300 per week. My brother and I had our hands full with that.

Now, due to a disability and the potential thought that I may never be able to work for someone again, and being kindly rejected by our government for disability benefits that I had payed into for 20 years, I am forced to try and find another way to make a living. And this is what I intend to do.

I am enclosing a picture of the building also that I am going to convert into the coop. I am open for suggestions if you have any. Thank you so much for your help and advice, I appreciate every bit of it!
big_smile.png

16377_imgp0853.jpg

16377_imgp0852.jpg

Last edited:
You can do a lot with a building like that ,im not to good on the conputer i have put some pics of where i process my chickens we do everything here ,eggs is the best way to get your foot in a lot of doors and i say that because once people taste a real farm fresh they will buy more of what you half to sell once they get to know you and your product fresh,natural and more healthy for them,and you will half to educate them and it will take a little time but it is worth it.And i will help you any way i can.
Aaron

I have to say you are doing about what I would like to grow into. We're starting extra small though. We want to be able to sustain ourselves and then see if we can grow big enough to sell the meat and eggs. (still on a smaller scale than you, though) I was hoping this could be MY contribution to the family as I'm a stay at home mom. I hoped it would contribute enough to the grocery bill to equal out as money
wink.png

me and a buddy of mine have been selling our meat and eggs so this year we formed a partnership and we processed 400 broilers,100 turkeys still on the pasture we sell eggs and we sell beef on the rail or smaller orders we have our own label that goes on the meat too.

Is there any problems with selling a already processed chicken to people? I know with milk you have to be certified to sell it for human cunsumtion.

I sell eggs for $3.50 to 4.00 per doz

man I can even get people to buy my large eggs for 2bucks a doz
told me wife let them go for now for 1.50 doz
I have way to many doz. s in the refreg. now

time to down size my chickens​

Back
Top Bottom