well i lost two chickens cant loose a third one making a new run

Coons, coyotes, and dogs will rip chicken wire to pieces. Hardware cloth will do it and is really your only option for screening since your run is so small that they can reach thru and tear them out thru the holes, a piece at a time. Man here saw 2 of them tag-team his 8 ft wide run and alternatively stampeded them from one side to the other. They dismembered three before he could get outside to run them off. And this was in the daytime to boot. He was buying hardware cloth that afternoon.

What should I do flip the run and use the chicken wire roof as the flooring so they can't dig under and get in or just put the new hardware cloth I bought right now on top?

Quote:
I agree completely. Chicken wire is worthless especially the kind they sell now. It will rust in no time, it's fine to keep the chickens in but it ain't worth a hoot for keeping determined critters out, I accidentally tore into it with a weed eater and it shredded it like paper. I use a 2" X 2" bound wire fencing for my runs. It costs a little more but in the long run it will last much much longer and nothing will get through it.
36856_pen021.jpg

Quote:
That will make it more predator proof but would you want to do that to your chickens? They love to scratch in the dirt and take dust baths. I think if you maybe partially bury and spike some landscaping timbers around the outside edge it should deter most digging critters.

We are still in the planning stage for two coops about 18 feet apart, with a run between the two, and I'm making notes as I read. We are planning on a run about 8'X19' or so. There are several rolls of wire fencing of various kinds around here (left over from other building projects). I plan to use the hardware cloth for the sides of the run, and there will be a top on the run (^ shaped), with wire and then probably a tin roof. My question at the moment is regarding keeping critters from digging into the run. Our land is pretty much solid rock, it seems, so burying the wire down into the ground may not be possible. We can always use the apron on the wire, and lay it flat outside the run. My latest thought, though, is to cover the floor of the run with wire, securely attaching it to the wooden frame of the run. If the coon, or whatever, digs under the run, he will only hit more wire. We could cover the wire with a nice layer of gravel, and then top the gravel with several inches of construction sand. The chickens will dig down, but with the gravel on top of the wire, it seems that there would not be a problem with the digging, and of course I can always cover the holes they dig, with more sand. It seems like this would work, and solve the problem of coons digging into the run. Am I missing a step here? This is new to us, and I (the wife) am the one making the notes and staying up late at night, reading BYC.
Another question I have....I'm not sure what to put in the nest boxes. We have chickens already, free range and into cages at night. DH build 4 nest boxes, and we put hay in each one. I read that hay was not good to use though....does anyone put sand in the nest boxes?
I wonder how many years it would take to read every single post on BYC? I'm working on it and loving every minute! I was afraid I was the only one that was absolutely crazy over these little chickens (and one duck and one guinea), so I am thrilled to find this site.
I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

well im done!!! i put up the hardware cloth and i am glad i bought it. I feel very at peace thanks to every one who has helped me!!!

You can nail a 1x4 or a 2x4 across putting the seam of the wire in the middle of the board and use wire staples to nail the wire down.

Good luck Jungle fowl, we will keep out fingers crossed for you!
fl.gif

Chickfan--Your idea for an apron (I suggest about 2' out) that is attached to the bottom of the run makes more sense. A lot of us here have done exactly that. Why I don't like the wire attached across bottom of run--the chickens will eventually dig down there, when dustbathing etc...(unless it is really deep, like 1' or so), and they can injure their feet trying to scratch, causing bumblefoot (especially if it is chicken wire, which corrodes in the soil). I would not like the idea of a predator coming up under the chooks, could pull their feet out, etc...and then how do you fill the hole? It is a heck of a lot more work than a 2' apron, pegged down along the edges of the run, with dirt or mulch or whatever on top to make it look nice. Good think you are doing the research now, though!

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, Cookchick. I had thought once the chickens dug down in the sand far enough to reach the gravel, they would quit digging. I certainly don't know though. I'm hoping to have about 6" of sand, on top of the gravel. I may just go with the apron on the fence, and forget about the wire on the floor of the run.
I will have hardware cloth on at least the bottom part of the fence, and will attach the apron to this. Does this wire need to be hardware cloth also, or can I use something a bit less expensive (not chicken wire, but something a bit stronger)?

Back
Top Bottom