Well I really needed a rabbit

Haviris2

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Ok, so that's a big fat lie, I needed one about like I need a hole in the head, BUT I was at Atwoods the other day and looked at the bunnies (yes I know that was a mistake, but I'm rarely tempted), and they had this little girl in there, she's sooo cute and unique looking, and I lost my brain for abit and bought her!
04-06-1154.jpg

04-06-1158.jpg

04-06-1157.jpg

04-06-1155.jpg

She's way cuter in person.

I blame my mom, the other day she said "do you want a rabbit?" Strange question, so I asked her if she was wanting to get rid of one, she works in home health and one of her clients had one they wanted to rehome (apparently it has since moved into her house and I don't think she wants to give it up now). I told her if I got another rabbit I'd rather it be one I pick for myself (I'd like to have an English Lop), but I guess the seed was planted, and it's all her fault! Really!

Oh, and she doesn't have a name yet either.

Last edited:
...how old did they tell you she was? Because she doesn't look like she should be weaned yet. She's adorable, but she may need help eating.

They wouldn't have any idea how old she is (I didn't bother asking), it's Atwoods, they had just gotten these in, they had white ones that looked older, and several colored ones, this one was one of the smallest though. I was worried at first that I hadn't seen her eat or drink from her waterer (I did give her alittle in a bowl though, and she drank that), but today I saw her eating and drinking so she's good.

Anyway, thank you! I really think she's adorable, I actually brought her home and told my mom I bought her for her! I wasn't sure she'd be pleased, but she's trying to think of a name now, so I guess she likes her!

Her hair is unique looking, it was actually her color that caught my attention, she's blue roan! She's got the dutch patterning, w/ a black hood and black down on her butt and back feet, but the rest of her is blue roan. It wasn't until I got her that I noticed the hair (as they were putting her in the box actually), I got a better look on the ride home. Her hair is longish and wavy almost curly, even around her feet, and her whiskers are curled, I'm guessing she's some kind of fiber mix. She was definately the only one there with this coat and color.

They'll start eating and drinking regular food as early as 10 days and I've had litters that survived without milk at 3-4weeks (rabbits don't hand feed well) so getting food in to them isn't the problem. One of my does regularly has kits who wander out of the box before their eyes are even open and start mouthing other foods before they can walk. The main problem with selling them that young is their digestive tract doesn't handle changes well. If I send any to a new home right around 8weeks I include a lot of their pellets and a slice of hay so they will have the same food for nearly another month before having to adjust. Having them eat whatever at the pet store for a few days to a week and then something else at their new home can really stress their digestive tract. Do not try any fresh foods, make sure it has hay, and watch for soft droppings. If it starts to develop diarrhea feed only good grass hay until the droppings are firm again. I'd wait at least several weeks to a month before offering any other foods but hay and pellets to make sure it's digestive tract has adjusted to it's new diet. Then give very small amounts. High fiber safe weeds and grasses are the best to try feeding first but otherwise we start with a single cranberry a day or the equivalent when they've been taken from their mother early for some reason. Cranberries can sit in the fridge for a long time without going bad so I've always kept them on hand as treats ever since we raised guinea pigs as kids.

Another problem with weaning that early is rabbits eat their own and each others feces. This is a normal behavior through all life stages of rabbits and guinea pigs and very common in the young of other animals. We see it frequently in horses. They pick up necessary bacteria from eating their mother's droppings. It allows them to eat the same foods as their mom who already has the correct bacteria to digest those foods. Orphans or animals on antibiotics are often given droppings from healthy individuals or a substitute to prevent diarrhea. I would check the feed or pet store for a tube of bene bac and squeeze a little of the gel in to the corner of the rabbit's mouth 3 or 4 times a few days apart or any time the droppings get soft. You can also use acidophilus capsules from the pharmacy but they will have to be broken open, mixed with water, and given by syringe. Bene bac is a lot more convenient. The orphans at least loved the taste so it was very easy to get down them.

she does look awfully young! i would keep a close eye out for any health issues later on especielly resperatory issues congratz though shes a cutie also how was she sexed? if it wasnt a blood test it could be wrong

I've sexed rabbits at 2 days old and been accurate.... You don't need a blood test for a rabbit.

Back
Top Bottom