Well, if nothing else....

obxWaMi

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
OBX, NC (Roanoke Island)
I will know when she starts laying because she is the only one of my girls that will lay white eggs.

Can anyone tell us what type of chicken she is? She will be 8 weeks old on Wednesday.

42000_dscn0789.jpg

42000_dscn0784.jpg

ps..See my post in Stories about my chickens for details about how she came to us.

Not really sure what it is. Could really be any number of breeds I suppose with a single comb, and unfeathered yellow legs. I suspect you say white eggs because of the white ear color? Leghorns have the single comb, white ear and yellow legs/shank, as do the Lamona's, and the Minorca's. These were the only ones that I could find that fit on Hendersons. You should be able to look up pics on feathersite to find a match.

Laney

Her feathers look funny to me. Fluffy and messed-up looking. Is somethin wrong with them or are they just thatta way?

She doesn't look like my Leghorns, besides the funky feathers her legs are too fat.

Wait, if she escaped from a truck on it's way to processing....wouldn't it be one of those meat-producing breeds?? I don't know much about them, but I think they're white....

Our friend, Mr. C, who raises these chickens says that some of them are kept to lay more eggs for future generations, but mostly they are for meat.

As for why I figured she would lay white eggs...she appears to have white earlobes, but I really haven't seen her up close in the daylight yet.

Her feathers look kind of roughed up because she spent all her life in a chicken house with 30,000 other chickens and the past 3 days on the run. She also made the trip to our house riding for more than an hour in the box she is now resting in. She has had a tough start, but she will be well taken care of here.

Well, if they were being raised for meat I would say Cornish Rock. But you say they keep some for egg laying? So maybe White Leghorn? Cornish Rock typically aren't viable after about 12 to 14 weeks old due to their bodies being bred to basically do nothing but put on meat in a very short amount of time. Sometimes people keep them by keeping them on a strict diet. She looks more like a Cornish Rock to me then a Leghorn but I'm not that familiar with those breeds.

Back
Top Bottom