1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well, it happened.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheOLDNewChick, Apr 11, 2008.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I got spurred. Nice, big hole in the middle of my shinbone on my left leg. Needless to say, I cut those things OFF.

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Ouch, that's gotta hurt, have you re-named hime yet like "pot pie" just to get his attention? Is there anything special you used for the resulting wounds? Yours & his? :aww Sorry about that!

3. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    Ouch!!! Sorry.

4. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Yeah, I was just telling him how lucky he is I didn't wring his neck right there. I put baking soda on his wounds. Nothing in particular on mine.

5. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Another use for baking soda - cool....now go look after yourself...

6. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    Sorry to hear bout that. [​IMG]

7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Wait til you are bending down the check on your broody goose and the gander sticks his beak down the back of your shorts and bites your butt! [​IMG]

I've been spurred so many times, I cant even remember the first time it happened. I remember when my BSL roo attacked me when I was younger and I bawled my head off as I whacked him with a stick,lol.

8. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    LOL Jordan. I did that too. I ran around chasing him with a stick before I caught him, yelling at him. Bad thing to do, I know, but I was in pain. I don't do pain well.

Thanks, Cheekon. =] [​IMG]

MeanQueen, I did. I put triple antibiotic gel on it and whatnot. I'm fine. :)

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ouch. I cringed reading about it.

10. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Yikes! Do most roosters do that? I've never been spurred, yet at least. Mine hop up on the roost to get handfed. I routinely roust the hens off to gather the eggs and my roosters could care less. My older rooster is a good fella though and so sweet to the hens, when they are in the nest box getting ready to lay, he's there talking sweet to her and dancing around on the roost there. I've never had one to fuss at me but I'll be on guard now, that sounded pretty painful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by