well maybe i can get an answer here !

ryansmommy83

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
southern california
So I dont want to over feed my little loves but I dont want to over feed either I have 6 hens and 1 roo how much do you think i should be offering them ? They arent free range yet only because i just added two new game hens and I dont trust them yet especially since i have alot of lose dogs and coyotes, and hawks. I feed them out of a dish. i have prissy hens !

You canʻt over-feed a chicken. They get fat or sick eating the wrong food. If you stick to growing mash/pellets until they start laying and then layer mash/pellets, you can give them as much as they want because it a balanced diet. But if you feed a lot of treats or a lot of 3 way scratch, you might start seeing a problem since they are high fat/calorie and low protein foods. Like kids, the hens will go on strike for the treats instead of eating whatʻs good for them

I have non-meat chickens & give them all day access to food. Birdsofparadise is right about them going on strike for treats. I feed mine a mix of cracked corn & layer mash, they will pick all of the corn out first & eat the layer mash later. I only refill their pans once the mash is almost completely gone - otherwise they would eat nothing but the cracked corn.

Free feed with a feeder that doesn't allow for waste. They will scratch out a tremendous amount of feed especially if you premix grit and shells with your pellets. I have a hanging feeder that is well adjusted to the size of my birds. When my feeder was on the ground they cleaned it out scratching. They don't overeat a balanced diet if it is provided. They are dialed in pretty good to fill their needs.
D.gif

as with any animal,if you don't let them get hungry, they will not overeat when the food is available.

with my dogs I just open the fed bag and let them help themselves.

my wife has a feeder for hers, and she keeps it full.. same principle, only neater...

You can do the same with a feeder for chickens, is what I am getting at..

If you watch them, they will eat their fill and then go off across he yard the rest of the day pecking at the ground...

Back
Top Bottom