(Well-meaning) human predators in the chicken run, Oh No!

Y’all are SO much nicer than me! I would have flipped my lid if I caught kids trying to break in to my coop. Also.. 12 yr olds know better than that, or they should.

I’m sure they meant no harm, considering your set up, but they should be told they can come when you’ve let the chickens out and to NOT open gates or anything. Hopefully they’ll understand.

I think you handled it well. Since you had already told the boys and their parents that they could come on the property and visit the chickens, they probably were only going to throw the greens into the coop not realizing the chickens would run out if the door was open. Use their visits to educate them on chicken care, I think it is an invaluable experience for them. I think the locks on the coop and run are a good idea to avoid any of the other curious free ranging kids from entering as well.

...Too bad there isn't a dating section of the forums. Would be cool to meet someone who loves chickens as much as I do.

I can't imagine my life without my wife of 30+ years. But I'm the "crazy chicken lady" in our household. We share some interests in common, but have many other interests each on our own. We got married in our late 20's and were truly two people who married and stayed two people in many respects. I don't think that is bad. At least, it has worked for us. So don't limit yourself. Always enjoy your posts. Thanks.

(Edit: Not intended to be any advice on dating. Not responsible for actions of others. I don't know what I am saying. Please don't listen to me on this subject.)

Last edited:
After having a similar experience with two children when I had my first large flock of chickens 40+ years ago, I have always chosen to lock my coops and runs since. Sometimes things are not malicious but they can be intentional.

I'll probably have to lock up everything for the summer. I don't think the kids were being malicious, but I was concerned about unintentional consequences.

I did not quite understand your statement that "Sometimes things are not malicious but they can be intentional." If not a typo, would you please explain what you meant? Sounds pretty profound and I just can't follow. More to the story 40+ years ago?

Back
Top Bottom