(Well-meaning) human predators in the chicken run, Oh No!

...I might suggest that you or the wife type up a simple printable list of chicken DO eats and DONT eats. Something you can hand out to your neighbors that they can tack on the fridge and show their kids.
Maybe even put up a laminated version of the list somewhere on the coop in case you get those kids who snuck out of the house (with random foods from mom and dad’s kitchen) to feed your chooks!

Thank you for the response. I live on property that was once part of a lakeside resort. These children visit with their families for only a few weeks out of every summer. They were here, and now are gone for another year. If the children lived here year round, I would certainly consider printing or posting info on what is acceptable to feed the chicks. As it was, I just went out there to see what was brought over to the chicks. The chicks are pretty smart and eat mostly what they like first. If there is objectionable food, the chicks usually don't go near it, and I just remove it later when the children are gone. What I did is offer some bread and chicken scratch I kept available for the kids if they did visit. I found it better for me just to thank the kids for visiting, thanking them for bringing over treats if they did, and just letting them hand feed some bread and chicken scratch I had saved anyway for treats. All turned out well in the end and I look forward to the children visiting again next year.

How about turning it into a revenue stream :) with one of these vending machines - put a sign on it that welcomes people & ?gives a random fact or two etc.
... & no i didn't read through the 27 pgs of responses so apologies if this is a repeat. Good luck! :)

https://gumballmachinefactory.com/3...MI_5PA4tnI4wIVBY_ICh0nmw95EAQYASABEgIyBvD_BwE

Thank you for the response. The suggestion was offered by another person, but I appreciate your link on the animal feed vending machine. I think that would be a great idea, except that these children come to the lake visiting with their families for only a couple weeks a year. They are not here year round. It would not be a money maker for my situation, but I do like the idea of offering something there that I know would be healthy for the chicks to eat if I was not at home.

Last edited:
Need some suggestions on how to handle young neighborhood kids...

This morning, it was raining outside. Normally, I open the pop door on the coop and let the chickens out into the run fairly early in the morning. But, since it was raining, I was taking my time today knowing the birds have both food and water in the coop. Well, the rain slowed down to a light sprinkling, so I headed out to the garage to get some fresh feed for my 10 ten-week-old pullets.

As I turned the corner of the garage, feed bucket in hand, I saw two young neighborhood boys not only in the chicken run, but trying to open the sliding pop door! OK, not good, but try not to panic.

I live on a lake and in the summer we get lots of visiting people for a short period of time. These boys are only here for a few weeks, they are about 12 years old, and they came bearing a sack of lettuce to feed to the chickens. Since the chickens were still in the coop, they were trying to figure out how to open the pop door to feed the lettuce to the birds. So, truly, their hearts were in the right place. But we all know about unintended consequences....

My chicken run has a dog kennel gate panel and I use that gate to get in/out of the chicken run. The gate latch has a secure locking feature to put on a padlock, or in my case, I just use a carabiner. That locks the gate latch for most predators, but certainly not humans. Likewise, I use a carabiner on the chicken coop access door gate latch. Again, easy for humans to bypass.

The kids were not able to get the sliding pop door open. :clap So I guess that my design was tested under fire in real life. When I made the sliding pop door, I added extra weight to the door inside the coop and the bottom of the sliding door extends down into the framing so you cannot get your fingers under, over, or around the door. The door itself is smooth and slippery, so you can't get any leverage on it to pull it up - I tried with my bare hands and I could not do it. Fortunately, neither could these kids.

So, trying to be very calm and understanding, I wished the boys "Good morning" and asked them if they had come to visit the chickens. They said they had some nice lettuce to feed the chickens but they could not get the door open to feed the birds. So I told them that I was also feeding the birds, and that I had to open the small pop door from inside the coop. So they came out of the chicken run and actually not only shut the gate behind them, but also put the carabiner back on for me. That was good.

I opened the pop door and the birds came out. They started throwing lettuce into the run and the chicks got scared and ran right back into the coop! :wee I explained to the kids that these chicks are not used to having people around as I have been the only one to feed and care for them since they were day-old chicks. But I thanked them for the lettuce and thinking of the birds. I told them that they would be back out later and would eat the lettuce then. They seemed to be OK with that and after a short while they left and went back home.

Afterwards, I was thinking about what I should have/could have said.... For example, even though I was thanking them for thinking of the birds and bringing some nice lettuce for them, I should have also told them that if the chickens are not outside, that I might not be at home and don't want the chickens outside in the run. I should have told them that only I should open the pop door and that others should not try to get into the coop. I just did not think of it at the time.

I don't want to be the grumpy old man yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn, but I am concerned that a gate would be left open, the chickens get out, and then killed by a dog, eagle, hawk, etc... So I am thinking about putting padlocks on the coop and gate, at least during the summer when the visiting neighbors arrive. These kids will only be here a few weeks, and I really want to encourage them to enjoy my chickens and feel free to visit. My wife and I never had any children, so I am not quite sure on how to best both encourage these children while at the same time stressing to them that there are boundaries which should not be crossed - like going into the chicken run and trying to open the pop door!

Well, if you have read this post thus far, you are probably the type of person who could offer me some suggestions on how to better handle these type of situations with the neighborhood kids. So I open it up to you for some thoughts. Thanks in advance.
"Good fences make good neighbors"..

I had to add my 2 cents. I'm reading that you don't mind the kids playing on your property, and in fact enjoy them. It should be easy enough to remind them when they come each year to come and get you when they want to feed the chickens. They sound like harmless kids, and you sound like a wonderful person. I don't think locks are necessary at all.

They sound like harmless kids

Their hearts were in the right place, even though they crossed boundaries when they went into the chicken run and tried to open the pop door to let the chickens out. In the end, it all worked out great and I am just glad I did not overreact at that first encounter. They came back a few more times to visit my birds before they left for the year and I was able to give the kids some bread and chicken scratch they could feed to the chickens. Everyone enjoys having a chicken eat out of their little hands. It was all good.

Call be a grumpy old witch but I honestly thing that crossing into your run without permission is completely unacceptable. I learned from a very young age that you do not go onto other people's property without permission, let alone go mess with their animals

While I understand your position and that you would like to let the kids learn and explore. It definitely is something that should only be done under adult supervision. I have seen too many children start out calm and gently but get too excited and wind up accidentally hurting themselves-in this case the chickens.

I would also be fearful that if a child got hurt on my property, that the parents would try to hold me liable. I am not sure of the legalities but it you do not tell them they should not be there without permission they there is an implied permission that may leave you open to some sort of legal responsibility.

Personally, I have had all my nieces and nephews and a few of their friend in and around my chickens....but going in when you are not around is a little scary. I would add a lock to the run door. (I am also a little jaded by a local situation where one person said another was stealing the eggs.)

I agree with the comment that "Good Fences make Good Neighbors", especially in an area with a lot of temporary visitors. You never truly know who is going to visit.

...I honestly think that crossing into your run without permission is completely unacceptable. I learned from a very young age that you do not go onto other people's property without permission, let alone go mess with their animals....

I don't disagree with anything you said. I took a slightly different approach to the kids which worked out for me. My situation is a little different in that I live on lake resort property, and for generations children come and visit the lake in the summer and explore the surrounding area, including my property. It's not like living in town with clearly defined property lines and fences. But that is part of the charm living where we do. I do completely understand others and thank you for your concerns.

If you enjoy the visitors coming on to your property I would put a lock on the first point of entry and put a sign up saying that if anyone wishes to visit the chickens and feed them please feel free to knock on the door! That way you are 1. Teaching boundaries and respect for others property 2. Gaining a little control over who goes near your chickens 3. Giving the kids an opportunity to learn what is appropriate to feed to chickens. I think it's great that you allow them to come on to your property but by the same token they should be respectful of it, including livestock. Some kids don't think and it worries me that they could inadvertently harm the chickens..

Back
Top Bottom