Well, now I'm stumped. Breed help?

OTTB228

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2015
Kansas
So I bought two dozen "buff orphington" eggs. They hatched yesterday...I now have 13 chicks that are almost entirely black and brown with feathered feet. I have absolutely no idea what they are. Some of the eggs were smaller. I thought they were just eggs from young hens...now I'm wondering if they were bantam eggs. Any thoughts? I only took pictures of a couple of them because they all look the same. :)

The browns

The blacks(with white bellies)

The only two that I *think* are actually buff orps. Anyone confirm?

Last edited:

QueenMisha

Queen of the Coop
Jan 14, 2015
Placerville, California, USA
Looks like you got a whole bag of mixed breeds so far. Unfortunately that's about all that can be told at this age. The possible Orps look like Orps so far but I wouldn't believe it until they're grown. Check back in 8 or more weeks with updated pictures and we may be able to narrow down what breeds might be involved in the mixes.

Last edited:

Michael OShay

Crowing
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Montana
Looks like you got a whole bag of mixed breeds so far. Unfortunately that's about all that can be told at this age. The possible Orps look like Orps so far but I wouldn't believe it until they're grown. Check back in 8 or more weeks with updated pictures and we may be able to narrow down what breeds might be involved in the mixes.

X2 on QueenMisha's post.

OTTB228

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2015
Kansas
So I forgot to come back and tell y'all what I found out! A Black Cooper Maran Roo got in with the Buff Orpingtons and these guys were the result. I don't have any updated pictures but they are seriously cute!

Top Bottom