Well, now I'm stumped. Breed help?

OTTB228

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2015
Kansas
So I bought two dozen "buff orphington" eggs. They hatched yesterday...I now have 13 chicks that are almost entirely black and brown with feathered feet. I have absolutely no idea what they are. Some of the eggs were smaller. I thought they were just eggs from young hens...now I'm wondering if they were bantam eggs. Any thoughts? I only took pictures of a couple of them because they all look the same. :)

The browns

The blacks(with white bellies)

The only two that I *think* are actually buff orps. Anyone confirm?

Last edited:
Looks like you got a whole bag of mixed breeds so far. Unfortunately that's about all that can be told at this age. The possible Orps look like Orps so far but I wouldn't believe it until they're grown. Check back in 8 or more weeks with updated pictures and we may be able to narrow down what breeds might be involved in the mixes.

Last edited:
Looks like you got a whole bag of mixed breeds so far. Unfortunately that's about all that can be told at this age. The possible Orps look like Orps so far but I wouldn't believe it until they're grown. Check back in 8 or more weeks with updated pictures and we may be able to narrow down what breeds might be involved in the mixes.

X2 on QueenMisha's post.

So I forgot to come back and tell y'all what I found out! A Black Cooper Maran Roo got in with the Buff Orpingtons and these guys were the result. I don't have any updated pictures but they are seriously cute!

Back
Top Bottom