Well since I was given a ........guess I'll have to

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by keystonepaul, Sep 1, 2008.

1. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Well since I was given a plucker, I guess I'll have to go and get me some meat birds in the Spring! Got a well made home made plucker from a friend who offered it from an old fella whose barn he was cleaning out for him. Not too old, very simple set up and will be just about perfect for harvest time. Hmm... cornishX, red or black broilers? decisions, decisions. Gotta go find a space in the garage!!

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    What a great gift from your friend. A good plucker would seem to be very worthwhile. I think that you should raise up a late summer batch of Cornish crosses or pekin ducks. They only take 8 to 12 weeks to grow off, dont they? You could get them in the freezer by the end of October.

Can you post a picture of the plucker so that we can see how it was made?

chel

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Lucky you!! [​IMG]

Those things can really get expensive to buy and those things can really be expensive to buy!

I need a friend who knows an old feller who has a chicken plucker, too.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Lucky you....yes, please, post a picture!!

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Paul, congrats on the plucker. It is a wonderful tool and we have one too. I would recommend the cornish crosses from Moyer's in Quakertown. We always get our cornish there and they grow out great.

Jody

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I wish I had a plucker, I'll be using the hand method on my birds. Ahhh [​IMG]

7. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    wish I had the time this fall to do some meat birds. I'll get the tractor ready for the spring and will probably look to do some cornish crosses in one batch and maybe some pekins in another and oh heck probably 3 or 4 turkeys. Sooo I'll get busy over winter getting my tractor plans and building supplies ready and be all set put things together when I order so it'll all be sitting and ready when I need it. Thanks folks, Keystonepaul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by