I did it! Processed 26 CX

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Yesterday was process day for the meat birds. Ended up doing 26 CX at 6.5 weeks old. Raised in a tractor since week three with locally milled feed and grass that had lots of wild strawberries..emphasis on ‘had’- those chickens LOVED them. I finished them on them last 2 weeks with 20% All flock mixed 1:1 with remaining milled feed; all flock was Prince.
Started with 31 chicks. I lost 4 as chicks, 3 had leg issues but two of those were still able to get around and I culled the third. Of the 26 processed 4 had signs of heart failure. Ave size live wt was 6.5 lbs; dressed wt ave 3.75-4 lbs so perfect for us. I will prob use a different hatchery or go with TSC as those chicks have had adjustments to shipping stress already, whereas I had 4 chicks die-shipping was 3 days and that’s really due to my remote location.
Overall this was rewarding for me being a first timer. We discussed what we could do differently next year. I will definitely invest in stainless steel cones, and go with smaller batches of 15 at a time in my tractor. Purchasing a plucker was a game changer for sure!
I appreciate all the advice from BYC members on station set up and all the great tips on raising CX. You all are amazing virtual mentors!! 😊

Attachments

• 71158050363__EF391942-BABF-4A3A-9F4E-4DF0E3661916.jpeg
    71158050363__EF391942-BABF-4A3A-9F4E-4DF0E3661916.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_3275.jpeg
    IMG_3275.jpeg
    910.2 KB · Views: 57
Nice work! Which plucker did you go with?
Thank you. I bought a Kitchener. I chose it because the steel was stronger than the leading Amazon suggestion. I strongly recommend 2 birds at a time. Single 6 lb bird got ripped and broken. Final packaging turned out fabulous, IMO

IMG_3292.jpeg

Thank you. I bought a Kitchener. I chose it because the steel was stronger than the leading Amazon suggestion. I strongly recommend 2 birds at a time. Single 6 lb bird got ripped and broken. Final packaging turned out fabulous, IMO

View attachment 3589151
Wow, that's an impressive bunch of birds, they look great! Thanks for sharing on the brand 😊

Great job! It's the best feeling when you're all finished and you take a step back to look at all of the fresh, natural, humanely-raised meat you just prepared for you and your family. Congrats! It's a dirty job, but one you can ultimately feel good about when executed properly.

On a side note, what a nice looking tractor!

Nice writeup and photos. Those bagged birds look great.

I am buying a plucker and had decided it would probably be a Kitchener as well. I came to that from reading reviews on Amazon. Plus, reviews for many other brands had pics of dented / damaged in shipping pluckers. I don't care to spend that kind of money and have it messed up before I mess it up :)

Thanks
JD

Great job! It's the best feeling when you're all finished and you take a step back to look at all of the fresh, natural, humanely-raised meat you just prepared for you and your family. Congrats! It's a dirty job, but one you can ultimately feel good about when executed properly.

On a side note, what a nice looking tractor!
Thank you. The tractor will serve as a grow out pen and be enclosed in electric fence.

Best feeling is when you are all done, until it’s not yet done. My neighbor got stuck with a large batch of CX chicks from someone that backed out of buying at the last minute. Neighbor was overwhelmed to the point of tears so I am taking over the chores of raising 30 to help offset their cost. Two other neighbors are buying some of their chicks. I’m not looking to keep them or profit and will donate the feed, hoping they recover their losses once the chickens are processed and sold. They are simply nice folks who got taken advantage of.

View attachment 3589151
What kind of packaging material.. I have just been using gallon freezer bags my mom uses a vacuum sealer machine which is like go with someday..just want to hear about what is more affordable way to go that will keep the birds best in the freezer.

What kind of packaging material.. I have just been using gallon freezer bags my mom uses a vacuum sealer machine which is like go with someday..just want to hear about what is more affordable way to go that will keep the birds best in the freezer.
I bought shrink wrap bags on amazon-very easy to use and seals tight. Heat water to 190, put cleaned chicken in neck end first, twist the end and zip tie (provided), dip for 3-5 seconds, slap on a label and done! I got large bags thinking I would process at 8 weeks—I processed a bit sooner. I trimmed the bag tops before putting in the freezer.
We have a vacuum sealer but I wanted a neat professional look- even tho chicken is for personal use.

Back
Top Bottom