Well that’s Fabulous! EMU sized egg in chicken coop!

What other kinds of chickens do you have? I've noticed the biggest eggs seem to come from middle-sized chickens. People have focused on breeding some hens to lay larger and larger eggs (like Leghorns and Red Sexlinks). For the biggest chicken breeds, the focus seems to be on breeding a big chicken, with much less emphasis on egg size.

But in this specific case, I think it is probably a double-yolk egg (or maybe a triple yolk or something of the sort.) That would be a glitch that can happen on occasion with any chicken, and not a good indicator of what size egg is normal for the one who laid it.
I second this.

I have a Red Sex-Link hen who lays such a large egg, that some jumbo sized egg cartons won't close because her eggs are too big for the carton. And that's what she lays every single time (and used to lay everyday back in her prime).

We’ve gotten a big egg today, but not any like it!
If your girl lays anymore or if this becomes the regular, please let us know! On a side note, do keep an eye on her vent. A few weeks ago I got a surprisingly large egg for a single yolk that I thought was from one of my Orpingtons. Then yesterday, one of my Orpingtons had a prolapse vent. I don't know if was the same hen or not, but it's something to watch just in case.

If your girl lays anymore or if this becomes the regular, please let us know! On a side note, do keep an eye on her vent. A few weeks ago I got a surprisingly large egg for a single yolk that I thought was from one of my Orpingtons. Then yesterday, one of my Orpingtons had a prolapse vent. I don't know if was the same hen or not, but it's something to watch just in case.
I will make sure to watch!

I got another one yesterday night!
6CBFE1A1-94B2-453A-8287-2D7E4A004015.jpeg
Double yolker!

Back
Top Bottom