well, that didn't take long.

coldmoon

Hatching
Dec 3, 2020
Ontario
Hi All! So, with the big bad that's happened this year, my husband and I hopped on the COVID chicken train.

We were looking for ways to bolster food security. And, like with any passion project, we've got bitten by the bug. Hahah. It was in the planning stages for about five years, but once we were under lockdown we figured why the heck not start now. We originally only had a small flock for meat purposes and for something for me to do while working from home, back in May. Started with a straight run of 5. Of our five, we had received one hen.

Now with some off to the freezer, we've got some new hens hanging in our quarantine and also acquired a svart hona roo. Didn't take long at all for the two of us to get bit by the bug. Got our flock winterized and cozy, got plans for expansion in the spring, of their run. Aside from Odin, we mostly have barnyard mix. Our friends thought we were silly getting "more pets," but my in-laws have been tickled pink and being just down the road have been banging down the door to be of help. For them, I think they do see our chickens as pets as my FIL got a little misty-eyed the first time I made some supper for him from uh, our first round of fryers. My parents live a ways off so they haven't gotten to see our flock yet... but my mom's asked us for a couple pullets next year for her own backyard set up.

As for me, I'm a Librarian. I am a novice knitter, and mostly because of my occupation I LOVE a good craft or DIY to try (I'm really missing having regular programming with the local kids). I'm 32, and still enjoy video games. Obsessed with my Switch! Also in the house keeping us busy are our two dogs and two cats. My husband and I have been together for going on six years. We've been married for one, and were given my childhood home as our starter home. It's been a wild few years with renos, new chapters, new projects. Seems like we're rarely relaxing, haha.

As for BYC, I kept coming across this forum we were doing research. And figured, why the heck not. Time to go all in.

Hi All! So, with the big bad that's happened this year, my husband and I hopped on the COVID chicken train.

We were looking for ways to bolster food security. And, like with any passion project, we've got bitten by the bug. Hahah. It was in the planning stages for about five years, but once we were under lockdown we figured why the heck not start now. We originally only had a small flock for meat purposes and for something for me to do while working from home, back in May. Started with a straight run of 5. Of our five, we had received one hen.

Now with some off to the freezer, we've got some new hens hanging in our quarantine and also acquired a svart hona roo. Didn't take long at all for the two of us to get bit by the bug. Got our flock winterized and cozy, got plans for expansion in the spring, of their run. Aside from Odin, we mostly have barnyard mix. Our friends thought we were silly getting "more pets," but my in-laws have been tickled pink and being just down the road have been banging down the door to be of help. For them, I think they do see our chickens as pets as my FIL got a little misty-eyed the first time I made some supper for him from uh, our first round of fryers. My parents live a ways off so they haven't gotten to see our flock yet... but my mom's asked us for a couple pullets next year for her own backyard set up.

As for me, I'm a Librarian. I am a novice knitter, and mostly because of my occupation I LOVE a good craft or DIY to try (I'm really missing having regular programming with the local kids). I'm 32, and still enjoy video games. Obsessed with my Switch! Also in the house keeping us busy are our two dogs and two cats. My husband and I have been together for going on six years. We've been married for one, and were given my childhood home as our starter home. It's been a wild few years with renos, new chapters, new projects. Seems like we're rarely relaxing, haha.

As for BYC, I kept coming across this forum we were doing research. And figured, why the heck not. Time to go all in.
members.jpg

Coldmoon, I'm a car on the Covid chicken train too. I joined BYC because, like you, every topic I looked up, I ended up here. This is a great forum. Nice people, friendly atmosphere. There are some very experienced and knowledgeable members too, and they are so giving of their time and expertise. So if you have a question, ask! Someone will know. No question is too "new" or "dumb;" we all had to learn at the beginning!

Back
Top Bottom