Well THAT went well! (sarcasm)

I have bird dogs, a lab and a German Shorthair. They will never be in the open with my chickens. Why? Because chickens are birds and bird dogs hunt and retrieve birds. Their nose knows the difference between a duck, a pheasant and a chicken, but their eyes see a bird. Can't and won't try train not pursuing chickens, because they are trained to hunt birds. Besides, if training them not to chase chickens work as well as training them not the chase cats, I wouldn't have any chickens left.

I do not allow my dog with the chickens unsupervised, ever. Also, I do not have property to keep all my animals seperate, they will be sharing a yard. The chickens have their pen, but free range around the yard throughout the day.

But cats, that is a different story. I have trained my older cat to leave the hens be (or rather the HENS trained them) and numerous places on BYC offer hope that most cats will not mess with a grown chicken. When my girls are grown, I doubt Sampson will bother them. I was just trying to figure out a way to help expose the cat to the chickens now so the cat didn't have to continue being shut inside. Hopefully trying to speed up the process. But I think I will let my girls grow out a bit more, and then try again. A firm peck on the nose is all the cat needs, but until that happens he thinks dinner.

Thank you all for your suggestions and tips. Hopefully we will be able to get over this bump in the road.

My barn cats are good hunters, and catch and kill many a half grown rabbit, but are quite afraid of the chickens and wouldn't think of taking one on (I do have standard sized chickens, some quite large). But chicks or young pullets are too tempting. I really wonder whether it's possible to "train" a cat not to kill a chick. Dogs, yes, absolutely. Cats? I wouldn't risk it. Keep Sampson away from the chicks until they're full grown. If you have a rooster, good! HE'LL train your cat for you!
PS: I have a Weimaraner and a Viszla mix, both hunting breeds - and they are completely relaxed and reliable around the chickens, who free range on our property, as do the dogs. I never leave the dogs out with the chickens if I am not around, but they have never - since that first steep learning curve era - made a move after a chicken. It's quite remarkable what they can learn to differentiate. Again, cats? Not so much, in my experience. Dogs will recognize and regard you as their leader, and the owner of many desirable things they can't therefore have. Cats don't appear to get that concept!

Last edited:
Well I have a Boxer, who has always been around my chickens...she knows them..I have scolded her several times in the past for chasing my roosters. anyone who has a boxer knows how rambunctious they are.. I came home other day and my room mate had gotten home first and let them out..and my boxer caught one of my roosters..she played with it so much it died....I could not stop her in time,because if I am there she is an angel, but if I am not watching her she chases them if they come into the yard.

I have 9 barn cats. None of them give the chickens a second thought. Baby chicks are a different story. I have to keep my eye on a couple of them until the chicks are several weeks old. I would keep an close eye on the cat until your chicks are a little older. My cats are terrified of our geese and the geese have never even "attacked" them. All in all everyone here is pretty easy going and we all get along pretty well...I hope & wish the same for your crew.

My son has a cat who is a inside/outside cat and does hunt rabbits and such he has leaned the hard way that the chickens are off limits and tonight we were in the back yard my son's cat Tops was just walking from my Dh to the back porch when star my black sex link pullet who is only 3 1/3 months old gave the cat the stinky eye and stared him down tops walked off and went on the porch so yes cats can learn just might take some time

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback! It is good to know there is hope
smile.png
I will absolutely wait until my girls are grown, but after that Sampson is fair game. And I think he will be shown the way by Joon, my wonderful Barred Rock. She is truly a testament to the breed! Gutsy, and stubburn with loads of comical personality thrown in. I will keep the girls in the safety of the run whenever Sampson is out, and otherwise he will be kept away while they free range. Thank you all again
smile.png

Happy Chicking!

-Kalie

Will cats stay away from bantams as well once they are full-grown? Or, I suppose it depends on the cat? We have two cats. So far, we just keep them separate, but am wondering if they will ever be able to free range here and there w/ the cats out? Thanks!

I have 5 cats and a mix of LF and bantams. My cats are afraid of all my chickens even the bantam that is about as big as an orange, she is very fiesty and chases the cats. I would say it depends on the personalities of your cats and chickens. I was concerned about my youngest cat at first but one good peck and he has never approached them in a threatening way aamof they all sleep together some nights. I would closely monitor the situation at first to see how yours react to each other.

Wanda

Thank you! I have one LF chicken. I would love to put the three of them together so the chicken will scare the cats to death (1 chicken, 2 cats)....
smile.png
I am thinking they would stay away from all of them then... Or am dreaming they would
smile.png

Darcy

Back
Top Bottom