Well THAT went well! (sarcasm)

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
barnie.gif
he.gif

I let the girls free range in the yard this morning with my youngest cat outside, trying to introduce them and teach the cat DON'T TOUCH. It went well at first, Sampson (cat) stalked the girls occasionally with no follow through. My girls don't know what a predetor is though, so maybe this experience was bad AND good.

Munk, my EE, was on this path in the backyard when play turned serious. And she is my submissive girl, not the one to attack Sampson with beak and claws, that's Joon my BR. So he sets to chase her, and she runs squacking and flapping her wings, and I am tearing after BOTH of them yelling at Sampson. He stopped when I yelled (he knows my ANGRY voice) and Munk went to my mom. What I did NOT see though was Joon bolted after ME, trying to save Munk. Joon was going after the cat! And she is 100% a pullet.

So I brought Sampson inside once again, and he is spending the day secluded in my bedroom. I think what I will do is expose him a little bit each day, and hopefully now my girls know that he is a foe, not a friend, at least at THIS time.

P.S. No harm came to ANY animals, and all this was done supervised. My girls are 10 weeks old and my cat is only as big as they are. Hopefully within a week or two all will settle down. Just venting a little bit, and of course my adrenelan rush when he took off after Munk. I am sure I sounded like a mother grizzley when I yelled at him lol, but hopefully he will learn the chickens are OFF LIMITS.

Yeah, that is what I am hoping for in the long run, when they grow up a little more. I think right now the cat still wants to take them down, but we used to have a few Barred Rocks years ago that would chase my cats, and any foster puppies we had at the time. They were also grown though, so maybe I need to wait a little longer before introductions. Joon went right after him though, she is my BR girl, so I hope once they get bigger Munk will learn to do so as well.

Munk is about 1/2 size BIGGER then Joon, but she is so much more.. Submissive. It's interesting to see the differences but I will have a pep talk with Joon and tell her not to worry about even drawing blood from the cat, just GET HIM lol.

I'll expose Sampson through the run fencing and wait until they are bigger before I try the free range introduction again. My backyard is not real big, so that is the one good thing, the cat doesn't really have anywhere to hide from the people watching him.

OH! And, my Pit Bull kept snipping at the cat as well, he is VERY protective over the chicks, and was quite concenered with the scenerio when it played out. That poor dern cat needs to figure it out lol!

Quote:
Yep I had the JET nozzle on and I sprayed him once for going too enthusiastically after the girls, and he kept off them and pouted in a corner for about 45 mins, but then came right back. I love the hose though, it's my best friend haha. I will try again in a day or so and have the hose ready.

We were able to teach my older cat to leave the hens alone but I can't remember how we did it..

Showed a predator prey and then tried to keep said predator from prey. Not sure I'd try that experiment again but that's just me.

Plenty of people are able to keep their hunter cats from killing the chickens. And plenty of cats still hunt things other then chickens. Thanks for your feedback though
big_smile.png
helps a lot. Do you have a suggestion such as get rid of the chickens or get rid of the cat?

I would not get rid of anything. They have just had one encounter. Do it again under supervision but now you are prepared better.

I have one cat that the chickens will band together and chase off when they see her...do the same with a couple of local feral cats. And I have another cat that the chickens are totally non-pulsed about and he walks right amongst them...no big deal to either side.

Last edited:
My barn cats never pay any attention to my chickens except to hurry out of their way if a hen comes after them. I guess I never thought to worry about it once the chickens get to a certain size. Little chicks are definitely protected. The dogs no longer go to the barn with me now that I have chickens and goats. Not because I'm afraid the dogs will do anything but because I can't handle the extra commotion of disturbed barn yard animals.
lol.png

My cat Jezebel looks at my chicks in the aviary when I am feeding them, but he can not get to him..as he swiches his tail..once I come out she comes to me to be picked up again to take to the next hen house to feed up. A big baby..and I love it. LOL

Back
Top Bottom