Well, the girls spent their first night

Red Barn Farms

~Friendly Fowl~
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Kentucky Heartland
in their coop. They all reached the age of 5 weeks and late last night we carried them all outside to their coop. It was their first night away from the house. Sort of reminded us of when our children left home to go out on their own. LOL! We were worried half the night and went out to check on them a few times just like worried over protecting parents would do, right? We sit them in their new home about 6 pm last night and they just stood there, then huddled together laying beside the coop's entrance door. They didn't much seem to want to explore their new home. I built them a two level coop with plenty of roosting room and three screened windows so they could look outside.

I went out first thing this morning, It was 6 am to check on them. They were still in that very same spot. Poor little girls! Once I opened the 'big door' they all just looked at me then started running over to where I stood!! They at once started drinking their water and went to their food and had breakfast! I don't think they had water or food during the night. I don't think they ever moved. All the girls made it through the night safe and sound!! YESSS!!! Once they had their bellies full they started exploring their new home. Happy chickens. Life is good!

Last edited:
Awwww....so needed to read that. We are putting ours out thsi weekend overnight. They go during the day but at night tehy stand by the edge of the coop and peep until we bring them in. I am hoping they will break this habit. I dont need 6 chickens living in my house :)
I am nervous too about leaving them overnight.

I think this is how all of us first time owners are. When I took mine out for the first night I hardly slept. That was about a month ago. Now they know the routine and head up the little ramp. I started bribing them with oatmeal to get them up there and then when they were munching I shut the door. Now they wander up at night when I come out. I am just waiting for the day they go up before I even head out there. I think it takes a few days for chickens to get any new step in their routine down.

Back
Top Bottom