Well-They quit on me :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heathersboers, Dec 9, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Well my chickies decided that they needed a rest- they have been laying about 2 months now- I went outside and NADA!!! It was 18 degrees last nite also- reckon they will start back when it warms back up?? My BCM are at 5 months and zilch from them too- I figured they would have started by now. ??

2. RobinZ

RobinZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    My BCM's where 8mos old before they started laying and my White Leghorn just layed her first egg today after molting, over 2mos w no eggs from her.

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Chickens need roughly 14-16 hours of sunlight to lay, so chances are your ladies stopped laying because of the lack of sunlight this time of year. Unless you are supplementing their light with electric, they will generally stop laying in the Fall and start up in the Spring. The BCMs aren't yet mature enough to lay, give them at least 2-3 more months.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Daylength is far more important than temperatures. Daylength will start increasing in a week or so. Your hens will start laying once the days are long enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by