Well this is a problem I hadn’t anticipated 😂

easterbun

Songster
May 27, 2008
TX
D8425470-0AF2-427D-9EDB-5FA82849639B.jpeg

Bantams are so tiny 😍

Welcome!
Yes, very tiny! They can also get through chicken wire, which I hope you aren't using anyway. Your Belgin d'Uccles (is that what they are?) will also be able to fly as soon as three weeks of age, so be ready!
Mary

I think the black ones (and red one) are cochin bantams (but could also be frizzles? I ordered 4 of each) but the two in the feeder are some of our easter egger bantams.. I think we do have two d'Uccles - one is super tiny, smaller than the EE's shown but it's not pictured and I don't think it's going to make it (we also had two DOA in the shipment, one I think was a porcelain d'Uccle and the other a red cochin or frizzle), but I've done what I can to get it eating and drinking so fingers crossed it pulls through.

For now they're in a concrete mixing tub inside critter nation cage (1/2 bar spacing, very escape proof)) - this was mostly just temporary to keep them closer to food/water/heat and it keeps them closer to eye level which makes it easier to see them all. Once I'm sure they've all figured out how to stay alive they'll be moved into a larger brooder cage with 1/2 HC.

I always have a chick getting into or stuck somewhere. Regardless of size 😂
This was one of my wyandottes as a chick. Sje loved getting into the feeder.
20190516_100236.jpg

And this is one my silkie hen was raising that I thought was stuck in the big hens feeder (turns out she was just eating like this and then wriggled out when she was done even though the chicks have a lower feeder. It really is interesting to watch the predicaments they get themselves into sometimes
20191005_112514.jpg

I always have a chick getting into or stuck somewhere. Regardless of size 😂
This was one of my wyandottes as a chick. Sje loved getting into the feeder.

Ok that last photo is hilarious! She really looks stuck in there!

And I have a similar chick feeder and I also leave the mason jar off... chicks would just sit in the middle and eat around themselve.s :D

Back
Top Bottom