well this is great! Any ideas?

hobby chick

Chirping
May 1, 2020
This is one of those cheap janoel incubators. I recently managed to hatch 6 out of 24 posted chicken eggs in it. All live chicks ended up roosters btw (rolling eyes here) I was blaming the postage factor on the low hatch rate but now I'm wondering if the temp and humidity are completely out? I've got the sensor for the new reader dangling from the roof of the incubator - not really sure where to take readings from. Right now I'm open to any suggestions from anyone who might even have the faintest clue what to do because I have no clue whatsoever and I have a batch of purchased duck eggs ready to put in... TIA legends
7EB444C3-9E5F-4D62-85A8-C3A449CC9747.jpeg

the settings were off on mine .. you need to be sure the tolerance is good on the new gauge or they'll still be off ... personally ive found eggs to be pretty tolerant of variations, of course its best to shoot for the ideals, but chickens are, how to put it, 'primitive' lol .. eggs are designed to take alot ...the condition of the eggs you start with is the critical factor 'fresh and not shaken' is the best lol .. so anyway, just figure out how to adjust the temp range on your unit, the manual is a good place to start, if its in chinglish i feel ya on that, just experiment to you get it, its likely halfway logical .. ive found humidity to be even 'less' critical but again shoot for the ideal .. if your unit runs humid then let it dry out for spells . .the idea is to end up at hatch time with the right amount of moisture in the egg and then get it really moist when theyre breaking out so they slide right out of the shell lol ...

Shipped eggs can have a bad hatch even in perfect conditions, unfortunately. Did you candle along/do eggtopsies? If there are any patterns in quitters then that can help diagnose incubation problems. Early quitters are more likely to be out of your control, but late quitters can be humidity or temp related and sometimes the details give a clue to which.

You should try resetting the Janoel controller and see if it's operating properly. If it's still off you'll need to manually adjust the temp on the incubator using your temp reader as your guide to give you the desired readings. Hope that helps.

You should try resetting the Janoel controller and see if it's operating properly. If it's still off you'll need to manually adjust the temp on the incubator using your temp reader as your guide to give you the desired readings. Hope that helps.
I'll give that a go, thanks!

I have the same little square thermometer/hygrometer and I found mine to be accurate. Do you have a medical or meat thermometer to test it against? I'm not sure about duck eggs, but with chicken eggs and humidity, I'd just run it (relatively) dry until lockdown, then put a little less water in it then you have now.

Back
Top Bottom