Well, this is slightly embarrassing...but what the heck....

makeitso

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
I've spent this morning snickering at myself a wee bit. Now it's not that the idea of using an old tall dresser frame is a bad idea, it's actually a pretty good one, especially since I'm NOOOO carpenter. In fact, before I met my chickens, I knew nothing about power tools either so this is really all their fault if you think about it. At this point I'm not sure whether I need to hug the chickens or take them to court, isn't there some law about Grandma using power tools?
The property I live on in pretty spacious and the back yard is full of junk. That's what I used to think anyway. How does that saying go, "One mans 500.00 trip to the dump is another mans chicken coop?" Well, turns out it's true. I have an enormous amount of chicken coop material laying around. Still, I want to post some pics of my very first coop before I destroy it and build something more chicken friendly and less human embarrassing. I give you the "dresser coop". I'll take better pics as I demolish it later today or tomorrow (depending on how my power tool bonding goes) so you can see it better. Keep in mind this dresser coop was in the "prepower tool" era of history. Did I tell you what my grand daughter, Ashtyn named the chickens? Sassy and Lavender!! Sassy is a bit of a bossy pants so her name fits, Lavender on the other hand isn't bossy and doesn't smell like Lavender so I'm not sure where that name came from but Ashtyn's happy with it. I've been out gathering and measuring for a new and improved coop this afternoon when Sassy popped her beak out the dresser coop and said, "wow, here we are at the mercy of all Gods creatures and you're walkin around with a tape measure thinkin up some elaborate coop design. Excuse me if I'm not the least bit impressed. You're not going to need a coop if we end up on the coons dinner menu...."
Sassy may be bossy, but she's seldom wrong.
Guess I'd better prioritize the remainder of my afternoon and put my energy into some sort of Fort Knoxing the joint.
smile.png

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
I think your chicken coop is simple but practical. It has served its purpose (overall) hasn't it? I think you did a great job and utilized some wood that would otherwise be cast aside and another tree wasted...I like it. However, I also look forward to whatever your next coop will be so please keep us updated. Perhaps you could keep a portion of this coop and implement it into your next one? Maybe make the nesting boxes out of it or something? Then again I'm sentimental and crazy regarding mementos so...not sure if you're like that.

I like the names your granddaughter gave the chickens, too. =)

Thanks Clucky Charms, you are right!! the dresser coop surely has served a purpose. I try really, really hard NOT to hang on to things, but things have a terrible tendency to hang onto me just in case I might need them for something, maybe, possibly.... so I'll probably keep it around. Using it for a nesting box is an excellent idea. And Olefarmersdaughter, I LOVE that dresser coop design. The hardest part of this chicken journey for me has been learning to use power tools....wait....no..... "using" them hasn't been too bad, but getting over my instinctive fear of them has been. I'm happy to report that I haven't severed any major arteries so far so I think I'm ahead of the game. Yikes, hope I didn't just jinx myself. Now don't think I have any objection to women using power tools, I don't. I just have never had to use them so it's not natural to me to do so. In time I'll get more efficient.

So yesterday I spent a great deal of time concentrating on chicken security. Now, I'm not sure why I didn't see this before but I wasn't thinking about using power tools at that time. Here is the area my coop is in and it turns out all I have do do is somehow enclose the front and build some nesting boxes along the back wall...oh and put a different door on and fix the fence so the hawks don't scoop up my birds.......
I was out looking at wood laying around under blackberry bushes and Sassy yelled , "OVER HERE.....OVER HERE!!!! I must have this for the door to my coop!"

I wasn't in the mood to argue with her so I drug it out of the blackberry bushes. Lavender really doesn't like it but she's to polite to say anything. I'm thinking of getting her into assertiveness training classes at the local community college. It's really getting painfully obvious she gets picked on too much because she doesn't stick up for herself. On the other hand, Sassy may need an anger management class....she does tend to fly off the handle for no apparent reason. How I'm going to afford all this tuition is beyond me...

So this is the coop under construction and yep that's Sassy Bossypants checkin things out. I told her to stop giving me directions and pick up a hammer if she wanted to make some design changes....she was all, "Hello? last time I checked I didn't have opposable thumbs..." Guess I know what she's asking Santa for this year.
See that little hole in the particle board? Both Sassy and Lavender like to use it vs the large opening which is now closed....funny birds. That's it for today, thanks all for your kind words :)

Back
Top Bottom