Well today is the day...

Daddas1Punkin

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Ca.
The day we get our two babies, and two of my favorite big chickens get a new home. (
wee.gif
&
hit.gif
)
I will miss them, but they are going to someone that is a good family friend and he will not eat them!
big_smile.png
So I'm happy for that!
He also has lots of other chickens and doesn't care if a couple of them don't lay, so it's a really good match. It seems like nobody wants chickens that don't lay! They are very sweet and love to cuddle so that's why he would like them. Gunna go take lots of pictures and cuddle them lots! Then we got to finish the brooder and we will be ready for the chicks!
smile.png

Unfortunately this is a part of raising chickens if you want a steady supply of eggs. You have to bring in some new chicks and thin out some of your older birds. I am doing my first thinning this year. Some of my flock will be 3 years old in April and the rest will be 2 years old. I am going to thin out 10 hens this year and get about 18 - 20 chicks. Then next year I will replace most of the remaining 20 and add another batch of chicks. There are a couple of the birds that I will probably keep long after they are done laying just because they are so friendly. A SLW and an EE. I am fortunate to have 2 coops and a run (that is shared by the 2 coops) that is large enough to comfortably house 40 full size hens. (The picture of my run and one coop is out of date. I am just finishing up an expansion of the run).

Back
Top Bottom