Well.....todays butchering job did not go well. Please help!

Quote:
Wow...never thought of that. That is a good Idea. I'm a nurse so I have all kinds of access to scalpels.

mmtillman, thank you so much for your post. My DBF and I are about to embark on this same experience for the first time. We truely believe that if we want to eat chicken, we should be able to kill and process our own. I've been stressing about it for a bit now and am so worried I will cause unnecessary pain. I am going to learn from your experience and take into account everything that has been posted on this thread.

Again, thanks for sharing mmtillman!!!

Cant say enough about long handled loppers, they go right through the neck bones and veins, just like a tiny twig! Funnily enough, they dont cut through the wind pipe and a few bits of skin always stay intact but that hasnt stopped my birds bleeding out nicely and there is no chance of my cutting myself
wink.png

Sorry you has such a hard time of it, dont feel too bad and cook him long and slow. Our year old rooster was the best I have ever eaten, just sloshed some good stock into the pan with the cut up bits and cooked him all day OMG, best dinner EVER
cool.png

Funny thing is, he didnt taste like chicken
gig.gif

Quote:
i have a tool very similar to this that I use for quail. Hubby picked it up at Bass Pro and it is specifically for butchering. Mine completely comes apart for washing and sharpening. I have not used it on chickens yet, but I have two to do later on today, so maybe I'll sharpen them up and try them on the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom