Well Ventilated vs Drafty

JustOneMore

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
The beautiful Adirondacks, NY
I fully understand that a coop should be well ventilated, even in the winter months. I also understand that it shouldn't be drafty. But at what point does well ventilated become drafty?

Last week I found a roll of 1x2 welded wire that had a mouse nest in it. My first thought ... "now, that's well ventilated nest".

As I dragged out the roll, my second thought was ... "but what a drafty mouse house".

I've been plugging seams in the coop but am not sure if I should tightly seal them all or not. Our coop does have a window that is always cracked for ventilation. How do I know if it's putting too much draft on the ladies?

Ever grateful for your thoughts.

Good question.

After much reading and then tweaking the building of my own coop, I have only one bit of advice.

Ventilation is a draft you can not feel.

Its -5º @ 86% humidity right now and its probably going to get colder through the night.

I have a large ventilation window on the small coop. Approx 12" x 16" with just chicken wire in it. This is the only opening so no cross-ventilation. But it is very large.

Im really worried about my young hens freezing to death. Ive been thinking about insulating, really shouldve done it today! Im very concerned about finding poultry popsicles in the morning and ive only had chickens for a few days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom