Well

viper125

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 3, 2013
Salem,Ohio
Right now plan looks like 25 layers to start out. Maybe 10 Cornish x too. Not sure to start all at once or break down in smaller groups. What sq ft box would I need for a brooder. And if done out in the garage or barn what would be the lowest temps safe. Right now our temps are running in teens to 40's on some days. Mostly around 20-25 though. Would a heat lamp do in these temps? Or should i wit a month or so.

I'm not sure how the lamp would do in those temps. I would be nervous though. Maybe test it out with a thermometer?

I always brood chicks in my house for at least the first 2 weeks, preferably until they start feathering. You probably could get away with having them outside if you used 2 heat lamps (so they had a bigger warm space rather than just the one circle). I'd be worried about freezing water though.

Well I had thought of doing it in the extra bed room. But they said in two weeks the'd stink me out. I also will be waiting before ordering so I can put them out at the right time. How old should they be for the coup and pen? They also said 25 or 35 would be too large for a big box. so not sure what to do now. Wanted them about the same age to start them together.

Back
Top Bottom