Wellsummers pecking and feather eating

Nixonfamilyusa

In the Brooder
May 16, 2023
Maine
I have a flock of 5 total, though 2 Wellsummers are the most recent addition. When I noticed pecking and feather eating I increased protein and decreased scratch. They also get a hanging cabbage a week for boredom busting and have a suet block with meal worms, BOSS and a flock block. It's been a couple of weeks, one Wellsummer (main culprit) is in a separate coop on a timeout today is day 5 for them. I have heard from another chicken owner, that this is a trait of Wellsummers, anyone else have this issue with this breed?

20% crumbles, black oil sunflower seeds, beef suet with mealworms (protein/methionine). And Wellness Brew water additive for immune system.
Thats a good feed but Cut out the seeds, suet and mealworms, there's little protein and lots of fat. Remove the flock block, anything that's not their formulated ration.

How long have you had the new additions?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Pics of your setup would help here.
Coop is 6x4. Run is10x12 but the coop is in it, useable space is 7x12 in front, 1.5x5 on each side of coop and 1x10 on rear, behind coop where they hangout to warm up. 5 hens, coop is moving out of run this year.

Coop is 6x4. Run is10x12 but the coop is in it, useable space is 7x12 in front, 1.5x5 on each side of coop and 1x10 on rear, behind coop where they hangout to warm up. 5 hens, coop is moving out of run this year.
Is the coop raised or on the ground?
Kinda confusing, pics would help, but it might be tight for an integration.

Is the coop raised or on the ground?
Kinda confusing, pics would help, but it might be tight for an integration.
Coop is not raised. The two Wellsummers we bought as point of lay pullets in Oct and kept them in a smaller coop for about a month until they were same size as others. Initial integration was good, until recent feather pecking and eating behavior. They came from a Hatchery and one had been pecked before we got her and had a bald spot on back, which made me curious about breed.

Back
Top Bottom