Welp. first time with meat birds

Welp 5 weeks and we have a few smaller ones and a few larger ones. Guess I know who goes first. Our plan is to butcher in 2 or 3 batches 8 or 9 weeks to 10 weeks....... maybe sooner.

20210114_140510.jpg

20210114_140426.jpg

20210114_140401.jpg

Our scale has a tare option so the basket was zeroed out.

These welps are growing like weeds. Ive reduced their feed to 16% layer feed to attempt to slow their growth rate. Maybe not recommended but I'm going to have to start butchering early. They should only be around 6lbs. Even the small ones are bigger than 6lbs.

View attachment 2499497
View attachment 2499498
Awesome! Those are excellent weights. So excited for you! (And maybe just a little bit living vicariously waiting for next meat bird season. :D ) Keep updating as they progress.

Awesome! Those are excellent weights. So excited for you! (And maybe just a little bit living vicariously waiting for next meat bird season. :D ) Keep updating as they progress.
I can't believe how quick they are growing. Wish they would free range some but winter here leaves very little to nibble on. Ive taken them out but they just walk straight back to the grow out shed.

I forgot to post Week 6 on the scale. Not like they fit anyways. Several are around 8lbs. Most are more than 7lbs. So time to start.
I did 7 last night. Wife wanted boneless skinless breasts, leg quarters, & wings. They averaged about 4-4.25lbs of meat per bird. Boneless skinless breast averaged 2lb per bird.
View attachment 2503348
View attachment 2503349
Your weights came up like mine — over a pound per week of age. How well feathered were yours? My biggest cockerels all looked like plucked turkeys at that age. :hmm It was like they put zero resources into feather growth and all on muscle development.

Back
Top Bottom