welp I did it. I culled my beautiful roosters.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mcostas, Jan 3, 2011.

1. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    It must be nice to live where you can have a real flock and a pretty rooster to service them. I can't so I had to cull my 3 dark brahmas. I will go so far to say they would have been the most beautiful roosters in the world had they been able to live longer. [​IMG]

I'm going to make a cassarole with half the meat tonight, and I froze half. We got more meat than we thought we would. We skinned them as oppossed to plucking. I was unable to get far enough away from the pen, that made me feel bad. They sensed something was wrong after teh first one. They didn't struggle much though. I used nails on an old picnic table and batoned their heads off with a large sharp stout knife. It worked well. After the first one we decided to through the bodies in an empty trash can to contain them. I was not prepared for the clucking that continues even as they were being dressed. Apparently the vocal cords are very low, so everytime the body was squeezed it clucked.

Here is my biggest most beautiful boy, he was very raptory
    [​IMG]

Here is the meat from 3 roos. We skinned them. We didn't keep the wings but we tried to keep most of the rest. It was raining so I was trying to hurry. I wasn't expecting much meat so I was pleasantlly surprized.

[​IMG]

I think my method of killing, batoning a sharp knife, is pretty fullproof.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Good job. Sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do.

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    good work [​IMG]

4. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Awesome job!! [​IMG]

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Have you tried keeping a rooster just to see what the neighbors' reaction would be? My neighbors are more tolerant of my roosters' crowing than I am; sometimes the noises drive me over the edge. When I call the neighbors, they say "no problem", but then they don't have them right outside their windows like I do.

6. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    if its neighbor drama, i find that giving a few eggs out can ease any situation.

7. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    It IS hard to do, but you did it. I have a lot of respect for folks who can see it through to the end... and it looks like you raised some tasty meat.

8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:this is what i plan to do...

and good job... i can't wait to start throwing my meat birds in the freezer every once in a while...

9. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Congratulations. I'm proud of you.

10. stirkle

stirkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    I chickened out... pardon the pun... on killing my 2 annoyances that I raised... so I think I will do the axe method tomorrow... pin the heads down and BAM...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by