Welsh Harlaquins

ErinWiggler

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
I bought these 2 welsh harlequin ducklings 4 weeks ago I was told they were "around a week old" i have been trying to figure out if they are male or female. I have been waiting for their bills to change dark or olive green but they are still the same as they were when I got them....Any ideas as to why they havent changed? Can anyone tell if they are male or female from this picture?

Attachments

• 20210510_213831.jpg
    20210510_213831.jpg
    879.5 KB · Views: 46
They look like drakes to me because of the dark heads, and those bills aren't going to change color. Yellow, pink, or spotted bills don't change in welshies, and unfortunately it means they shouldn't be bred.
IMG_20201121_144514677~2.jpg

A= Hannah, a very beautiful silver phase breed standard hen, her bill is black and her head is lightly colored.
B= Honey, a beautiful but flawed gold phase hen, her bill was yellow the day I got her and it never changed☹️
C= Sir. William Wallace Braveheart, a correctly colored but slightly small drake, he had dark plumage as a teenager and the proper dark juvenile bill.
D= Wuza (pay close attention to this one as I believe most of what he went through relates to your ducks as well), my VERY flawed but funny hen turned drake, he had a girl bill the day he was born but it remained yellow and he was supposed to be a girl with a yellow bill. Turns out she (formerly known as hazel) was a he! Hence the name Wuza (all my boys have W names and my girls have H names), he also displayed female plumage until he went through puberty. He feathered out in the juvenile stage with girly white feathers and a darkish head, I assumed it was just another flaw until he made his raspy quack and revealed to me his true identity 😂 after all his mess of color and sound as a baby he actually turned out to be a very nice looking drake!

Some juvenile ducks with yellow bills will get darker bills but usually they don't get dark. I wouldn't recommend breeding them because it hurts the breed standard and I personally have been having a horrible time finding proper welshies☹️. They are very cute and of course you may breed them if you like (ducklings are such a joy!) but it is something to consider. Hope this helps! -Eve

They look like drakes to me because of the dark heads, and those bills aren't going to change color. Yellow, pink, or spotted bills don't change in welshies, and unfortunately it means they shouldn't be bred. View attachment 2662742
A= Hannah, a very beautiful silver phase breed standard hen, her bill is black and her head is lightly colored.
B= Honey, a beautiful but flawed gold phase hen, her bill was yellow the day I got her and it never changed☹️
C= Sir. William Wallace Braveheart, a correctly colored but slightly small drake, he had dark plumage as a teenager and the proper dark juvenile bill.
D= Wuza (pay close attention to this one as I believe most of what he went through relates to your ducks as well), my VERY flawed but funny hen turned drake, he had a girl bill the day he was born but it remained yellow and he was supposed to be a girl with a yellow bill. Turns out she (formerly known as hazel) was a he! Hence the name Wuza (all my boys have W names and my girls have H names), he also displayed female plumage until he went through puberty. He feathered out in the juvenile stage with girly white feathers and a darkish head, I assumed it was just another flaw until he made his raspy quack and revealed to me his true identity 😂 after all his mess of color and sound as a baby he actually turned out to be a very nice looking drake!

Some juvenile ducks with yellow bills will get darker bills but usually they don't get dark. I wouldn't recommend breeding them because it hurts the breed standard and I personally have been having a horrible time finding proper welshies☹️. They are very cute and of course you may breed them if you like (ducklings are such a joy!) but it is something to consider. Hope this helps! -Eve
Huh I am so very confused now lol I think they quack sometimes so I have really been thinking girls lol one has a spot that looks like a heart the other a diamond so that is what we have been calling them for now...I did notice the heads were dark but I thought because of the golden rust tail feathers and the rusty color on their chests that maybe the head would lighten...I have never had ducks before I had read about them and decided to try 2 if they are in fact both drakes I guess it's good I dont have any other ducks...I may have a video with sound I will look because now I am really curious what you think on their voices...

Huh I am so very confused now lol I think they quack sometimes so I have really been thinking girls lol one has a spot that looks like a heart the other a diamond so that is what we have been calling them for now...I did notice the heads were dark but I thought because of the golden rust tail feathers and the rusty color on their chests that maybe the head would lighten...I have never had ducks before I had read about them and decided to try 2 if they are in fact both drakes I guess it's good I dont have any other ducks...I may have a video with sound I will look because now I am really curious what you think on their voices...
Having some recordings of their voices makes it very easy to tell, but sometimes it takes a little while for them to get out of the baby quack stage and into the raspy or belly laughing stage.

Having some recordings of their voices makes it very easy to tell, but sometimes it takes a little while for them to get out of the baby quack stage and into the raspy or belly laughing stage.
It isnt allowing me to add mp4...I wi work on it lol

Back
Top Bottom