Welsh Harlequin breeders?

Ispahan

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 31, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hello:

Can anyone here recommend a source for great quality Welsh Harlequins? I know that Metzer Farms sells them, but would they be any better if I get them from a private breeder? I live in Chicago if that helps.

Thanks,
Corey

Great Topic... I was eyeballing these
http://www.purelypoultry.com/welsh-harlequin-ducks-p-627:20f5fddc50188e4870db1d21325ddb6c.html

Mainly because 1-100 is only $20 shipping, but I'll be taking a peek at those other places now. Thanks!

Edit... found Hols...

http://holderreadfarm.com/shipping_babies_page/shipping_babies_page.htm

I'm in 76013 aka Zone 7, so to ship the Minimum 10 would be $14.75... not bad at all.
Thanks guys for the heads up!

Edit again... here's the duckling price listing in case anyone wants a shortcut

http://holderreadfarm.com/duckling_price_list_page/duckling_price_page.htm

Welsh's are only $4 each for 14 or less, better pricing when you order more.

Last edited:
I was also looking for Welsh Harlequin ducklings. Here is what I found for prices including shipping to Michigan:

Holderread (only hatchery with show quality): $9.57 each, 10 show quality ducklings.

Cackle Hatchery: $4.30 each, 15 ducklings.
Estes Farm Hatchery: $4.56 each, 16 ducklings. (+1.25 for sexed)
Sand Hill Preservation: $4.82 each, 15 ducklings. Not available in March.
Hoffman: $4.98 each, 15 ducklings.
Purely Poultry: $7.50 each, 10 ducklings.
Metzer Farms: $54.95 for 1 (sexed) or $11.64 each, 5 ducklings (1 sexed) or $6.80 in April, $7.05 in March, 10 ducklings .
Randall Burkey: $17.60 each, 5 ducklings or $10.80 each, 10 ducklings.

Ideal Hatchery: None
McMurray: None
Meyer: None
Mt. healthy: None
Whelp Hatchery: None

Last edited:
I would highly recommend Wifezilla or Dances with Ducks, but I am not exactly impartial since they both got breeding stock from me! LOL, I still wish I would have kept some of my Welsh Harlequins from the Holderread show stock. They were some beautiful birds (we are just too overrun with Runners and bantam ducks). I may someday buy some eggs back from one of them and add WH to my flock again (if only I can convince my DH to move back to the farm, LOL). Dances with Ducks bought my Gold drake as well, so she may be able to sell eggs that will produce both Gold ducks and drakes. Of course, if someone wanted ducklings instead, Holderread's almost can't be beat as far as quality.
smile.png

Thanks City Chicker!! I have three eggs in the incubator from the gold pair!! It's my first trial with a bator and I couldn't wait so I got a batch of duck eggs from a farmer around here and also put in all the WH eggs I had. I'm so excited!!
The gold hen is laying every day and one of my silvers laid her first egg yesterday.

While my drake and one of my hens is show quality (from City Chicker) I also have 2 Metzer Welsh Harlequins with them and no way to tell who laid what. Wendy & Shelley are great ducks but have obvious faults. Wendy has pronounced facial striping and Shelley still has a splotchy bill and her feet are bright orange while her legs are dark orange. She also only has blue speculum feathers on one wing. Health-wise they are great and I have no regrets at all buying them, but if you expect show quality ducks, they are NOT going to come from anything you get from Metzer.

Now my personal flock will be improved because of my handsome studly show drake
big_smile.png
and Lexus the Holderread's hen is BEAUTIFUL, but my smartest duck is my goofy splotchy-billed Shelley. We are hoping any of the Shelley/Tweak offspring will have dad's looks and mom's brains
big_smile.png

1003837.jpg

Wendy

1003839w.jpg

Shelley

1003838.jpg

Tweak

1003836.jpg

Lexus

Back
Top Bottom