Welsh Harlequin Breeding Thread - People who are breeding or want to breed their WH's talk

That wasn't my question, but that's ok. She was hatched from a trio of holderreads SQ stock, so all that means is I won't be showing her.
The parents have orange legs
Hi. Sorry to say, but WH should have orange legs, not black. 

Last edited:
I think you have a girl :) Whichever it is, your little one is quite lovely :) Even if it has orange legs.......
lau.gif

I think so too! A local gal who just hatched two of Jasper's siblings which both look VERY much like boys. Their bills are totally dark, no pink at all like Jasper had. That and she's been quacking off and on all day!

I listened to the second video of Jasper, and in that one, he still sounds like a boy. Also, his leg color is nothing to worry about at this stage. WH change so darn much that he might actually have good coloring later. They are born with brownish black legs, and look how much they've already changed.

As for juvenile feathers, yes! They do have juvenile feathers first. They do tend to look a bit hennish, and even my hens occasionally have a darker head and neck until their adult plumage comes in. No worries there. He looks like a fine little welshie to me! =D

Ravie even with all this quacking I'n hearing? I thought males didn't quack but these are my first ducks so I don't know! At what age can you reliably voice sex these guys? Jasper is 3+ weeks now and the other three are only 2+ weeks.

As a side note, the feathers coming in on Jasper are GORGEOUS! I think if it's a female she will have some great "blushing" or whatever you call it, haha.

It doesn't sound like quacking yet to me, but it isn't a great example since (s)he's busy bathing. You might try to pick him up and walk away from the other ducklings. Record the sound he makes then.

Or, hang in there another week or two, and you should know. You can also vent-sex (it's very easy) for an immediate answer. John Metzer made a great video:

Here is a youtube video I found. It isn't in English, but it demonstrates first an adult male, then adult female, followed by male duckling and then female duckling. Maybe it will help you?

Oh man, I tried to vent sex but it's so hard to hold them when they're this big! haha

I think I'll just wait a little longer and continue to try to catch the sound on video

Ok I just tried it with HER wrapped in a towel. I think I got it fully inverted and no tiddly-winker popped out! It was all pink :). In fact it was all pink for all 4! I saw pink and a tiny hole where I'm assuming something comes out of, but no penises.

Last edited:
Haha. Congrats on no Tiddly-Winks! I rarely get that lucky. In fact, I have one little male (and no other ducklings) which is being raised with guinea keets. Too bad you're so far away, one little tiddly-wink and you can make lots of babies in the spring!

Yes, they have some great looking birds on their website and it is very informative, great photos! You are lucky to get WH from such a good source. I wish that I could get stock from there, or anywhere else. I don't know of anyone in NZ that has WH that haven't come from my line. People quite often sell ducks on Trade Me over here as WH, when they are not, which isn't good for the breed. I got my original WH 10 years ago. Where are you please?

Back
Top Bottom