Welsh Harlequin Breeding Thread - People who are breeding or want to breed their WH's talk

Haha. Congrats on no Tiddly-Winks! I rarely get that lucky. In fact, I have one little male (and no other ducklings) which is being raised with guinea keets. Too bad you're so far away, one little tiddly-wink and you can make lots of babies in the spring!

The funny thing is that I actually had 5 boys that I sold because I thought Jasper was a boy! Oh well, maybe I'll try to buy one back or something :p

I figure boys aren't too hard to come by though. I'm friends with the gal with Jasper's parents so I can get a boy if need be :)

Last edited:
Yes, they have some great looking birds on their website and it is very informative, great photos!  You are lucky to get WH from such a good source.  I wish that I could get stock from there, or anywhere else.  I don't know of anyone in NZ that has WH that haven't come from my line.  People quite often sell ducks on Trade Me over here as WH, when they are not, which isn't good for the breed.   I got my original WH 10 years ago.  Where are you please? 

Me? I am in Washington state,US :) I love to combine these two lines and propagate GOOD WH here. Everyone's seem to be from holderreads and I figure fresh blood is good!

Last edited:
Hi. Yes, it would be good. Shame I am so far away. I had a well known poultry judge here 'borrow' my best pair last year, that took me nearly 10 years to get, as he needed a good example of the breed for something that weekend. I didn't get them back and found out he was showing them up and down the country and winning with them. They won AOB at the national show. The judge that judged them told me that they are the best he has seen in NZ, the only ones with correct markings, and in fact he nearly won best bird at the national show with them. I couldn't get them back and are gutted. I am a total novice and they are the only breed I have ever had. I didn't know you have to tattoo them. So, maybe it is worth contacting Holderreads. I never got to show them and have gone off the idea now, and it would be great to have something good happen for my efforts. What do you think?

How do u candle duck eggs an see if fertile with toilet paper roll before incubation? WhSt do u look for?
you cannot candle any egg before incubation to determine fertility. You can candle shipped eggs to check on how messed up the air cell is and for hair line cracks.

the only way to check for fertility before a few days of incubation is to crack open the egg. Look closely at the yolk, turn it over with a spoon if need be. You are looking for a small white spot. In very good light look closely at the white spot; if it is a solid white spot the egg is not fertile. If the spot forms a ring like a bullseye, that one is fertile.

Here are my babies now at 4 and 5 weeks old. I LOVE the blushing coming in on Delilah (far right), and Jasper (who IS a she!) is looking like my dream duck already :D

WH Fan, I would like to breed and show mine, but their parents are from eFowl. I'm a novice as well, so I'm still not sure exactly what I'm looking for. In August I'll be buying more hens from Metzer. (Speaking of, if anyone here is close to the DFW area in Texas, send me a message becaus4 I'll be selling the extras. I'm only keeping 3-4 ducks, so I'll have a lot to sell.)

I'm waiting a couple years to start breeding/showing though, since WHs are so indecisive about their colors lol. But anyways, WH Fan, if you have any pictures of that pair that I could use as a reference guide, I'd love some! :)

Here is my flock. I have a gold phase, who I know isn't in the standard in America and would be disqualified. I'm starting to think Thoth is actually a hen. He's the same size as the other two hens, he honks(in fact, he's more quack-y than Nyx), his bill is dark green/black, and his cap, though pretty dark, isn't as dark as Erebus's.

Keep in mind that they're only 9 weeks and 3 days old.

Pictured below is my drake Erebus. On the left of the photo, Thoth is in front, Nyx behind him, with Eris and Pyrrhos(the Mallard) taking up the rear.

Left is Nyx, right is Eris.

Once again, Nyx on the left with Eris being the focus.

Erebus and Thoth.

Erebus and Thoth size comparison.

Back
Top Bottom