Welsh Harlequin Drake?

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
My ducks are almost 7 weeks old now, and supposed to be all female. I'm wondering if one of the Welsh Harlequins is actually a drake, because she doesn't quack like the others. She sounds more like her voice hasn't changed since she was a duckling, more like peeping. Her head and back are also a lot darker than my other Welsh Harlequin. Does she look like a drake?
jane.jpg
jane2.jpg
jane3.jpg

Something rather scary happened to him today also. They have a cattle trough that they swim in with rocks for climbing in and out, and so far they've done well with it. But I found him today sitting very still in the water, shivering a lot, and looking miserable. When I took him out he was completely waterlogged, cold, and so heavy he couldn't even walk. I dried him off and held him for a while to warm him up but it took a long time for him to stop shivering and start acting like his old self. I had just checked on them maybe 45 minutes ago and he wasn't in the water then, so I was really surprised that he got so drenched and cold in that time. It's 80-90 degrees outside too. They all have almost all their feathers and dry off quickly after swimming, but it was almost as if he still had his oil-free duckling down instead of feathers. I'm worried about it happening again if there's some reason he isn't waterproof.

Maybe he isn't preening like he should be doing. I'd keep a close eye on him so this doesn't happen again. Did you figure out why he didn't get out on his own?
I think it was because he was too heavy with water to get onto the rock. I was reading about wet feather and gave him some nutri-drench in case he needs the vitamins. I'm keeping an eye on him too. I'll try and make sure he gets wet under supervision and is preening.

Back
Top Bottom