Welsh Harlequin Ducks What luck have you had with them

They haven't yet...I got some about a year and a half ago, then some more this spring. None have gone broody so far.

I'd like them to because I'd like more..they just haven't, yet.

Rare breeds that have extremely low numbers and therefore limited gene pools are put on a critical list. It means that most of the flocks in an area ( country )are all from an original breeding flock and that there are only very small numbers of birds being bred. Cross breeding to necessarily over generations is required to keep from inbreeding but without larger numbers available those looking to bring in new stock for their own breeding are ultimately just bringing in birds that are distantly related to their own.

thats so sad
sad.png
could they cross with other breeds like pekins?

It is common to do that to improve vigor and genetic diversity in a breed. Pekins- or other similarly genetic birds to the one at stake. It takes many generations of selective breeding to bring them back to the standards and to ensure they are breeding true again.

Thank you for explaining this! I realize I am resurrecting an old thread, but I have 6 female WH and 1 male coming from Metzer farms on the 23rd. I had read they were on the critical list, but did not understand how that was possible when you can just order them, but the limited gene pool makes total sense! They will be my very first ducks- and I don't have chickens... so I'm as green as you can get. :) Hopefully the Harlequins will be a good breed to start with, I hear they are pretty calm.

Welsh and Cayuga are my favorites,

Four boys

Pretty girl

I've ordered all mine from Metzer as well. Both breeds are relatively calm and quiet. If you were to compare a Welsh egg to that of a chicken, it would still be a jumbo. (I can't fit some of my Cayuga eggs in jumbo chicken egg containers) I've had Welsh for a year now. The girls took the month of January off, but now they are starting to lay again.

JessiLynn,
From what I can tell, both breeds are fairly calm. Every once in a while you will get a loud "quack", but most of the time it sounds like they are chatting amongst themselves. In the middle of a hot Florida day here, the flock will find some shade and nap for hours.

Krazy,
The Livestock Conservancy keeps a list of all domestic livestock in addition to poultry. As commercial farms want the biggest, fastest growing, highest egg producing birds they can get, the other less "productive" breeds get cast aside. It is a relatively small community who keep ducks for pets or for show. I believe there is a master list of thousands of livestock breeds, sadly one breed goes extinct each month. I have no plans to eat my ducks, so this was one of the reasons I picked these specific duck breeds, especially the Welsh Harlequin.
Reference: http://www.livestockconservancy.org/

IMHO,
Rich

Welsh and Cayuga are my favorites,

Four boys

Pretty girl

I've ordered all mine from Metzer as well. Both breeds are relatively calm and quiet. If you were to compare a Welsh egg to that of a chicken, it would still be a jumbo. (I can't fit some of my Cayuga eggs in jumbo chicken egg containers) I've had Welsh for a year now. The girls took the month of January off, but now they are starting to lay again.

JessiLynn,
From what I can tell, both breeds are fairly calm. Every once in a while you will get a loud "quack", but most of the time it sounds like they are chatting amongst themselves. In the middle of a hot Florida day here, the flock will find some shade and nap for hours.

Krazy,
The Livestock Conservancy keeps a list of all domestic livestock in addition to poultry. As commercial farms want the biggest, fastest growing, highest egg producing birds they can get, the other less "productive" breeds get cast aside. It is a relatively small community who keep ducks for pets or for show. I believe there is a master list of thousands of livestock breeds, sadly one breed goes extinct each month. I have no plans to eat my ducks, so this was one of the reasons I picked these specific duck breeds, especially the Welsh Harlequin.
Reference: http://www.livestockconservancy.org/

IMHO,
Rich

Rich- those are some gorgeous birds! Makes me so excited to get my babies. :) Which breed is the duck in the far back left of the top picture, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Don't mind at all,
Top left is a female Cayuga. She's the oldest one I have, about a year and a half old. As female Cayugas get older, they get more and more white feathers after they molt. I have 5 other females with scattered white feathers. The males are still solid black.

Top center is a duck we have taken to call "Brownie". His head looks kinda grey, but now it is entirely brown. Same pattern as the others, just with a brown head instead of black. Once you get to watching them long enough, you will see the subtle differences in both colors, but also personality.

Enjoy,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom