Welsh Harlequin mating pair - not interested in mating?

captop

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 21, 2014
I just got a pair of beautiful Welsh Harlequin ducks that were supposed to be 6 months old. They are amazingly calm and even-tempered - my kids named them Monkie and Minkie. The female isn't laying yet, which isn't too strange for 6 months, but from what I understood about ducks, I was worried the drake was going to wear the female out with his amorous ways but as far as I can tell, he doesn't seem at all interested in mating her. They actually act more like a loving old duck couple (which would be totally fine by me). I'm just curious to know if anyone else has experienced this?

My welsh harlequin males have always been good to the females, so I don't think it's that unusual. None of mine ever pushed the females to mate - I never saw a forced mating. The females always initiate. Sounds like you have a well behaved boy :)

Thank you for that. So I was planning on eventually adding another female to spread the love, so to speak, but do you think it would be alright to just keep the 2 as a mating pair without another female addition?

I'd think you'd be fine as long as the male isn't beating her up, and it sounds like he's behaving himself, so if that continues you should be fine with just the pair :) If he starts to get a little rough in the future I'd add another female, but unless that happens, you're good to go with just the two if that's what you'd like to do.

Thank you. I should have gotten these guys years ago - so far I love them!

Back
Top Bottom