1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsh harlequin or..?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nelleyoukai, Jan 2, 2016.

1. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    these are welsh harlequins

these are not

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Definitely not WH.. As far as I have seen from pictures, the only ducklings that have those kinds of markings are mallards and rouens. The mallard duckling should have one line over the eye and a rouen would have two. But based on the picture of the parents I don't know. My guess would be mostly rouen, as the female rouen tends to have more solid coloring. How big are the parents? That might give you a better idea of what they are too. Mallards are smaller.

Whatever they are they are not to the breed standard. Of course that doesn't mean they won't be beautiful, wonderful ducks. They sure are cute ducklings.

3. nelleyoukai

nelleyoukai Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2016
    Here is a closer look at the pair.
    Haha it's really going to bug me not knowing what they really are[​IMG] they are both really sweet and friendly ducklings though so even though they aren't what they're supposed to me I love them anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  4. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    the largest one in this picture looks like a muscovy.

5. nelleyoukai

Jan 1, 2016
    Haha yes, the one in the middle and on the right are muscovys, and the two little yellow ones in the first picture are pekin. I'm trying to figure out what breed the little brown ones are because they were sold to me as welsh harlequins but apparently they aren't :)

6. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeon Girl Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Well whatever they are, they are very cute!

7. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    b

Here is maybe a cause the male in this picture looks more Rouen like than welsh harlequin

8. apricotvalleywf

apricotvalleywf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Millbrook, Ontario
    My Coop
    Just the way the photo turned out! Guaranteed 10 seconds later it was full of them.

9. nelleyoukai

Jan 1, 2016
    Hey guys, I'm back again lol
    I can't believe in a week how different they look! (Or how much bigger they've gotten)
    I'm thinking that the bigger one is a male because he's suddenly got this white spot on the back of his neck (again I'm going of his parents photo) I think he's feathering out? He's suddenly got all of this super soft floof instead of the fuzz. He's also started this weird half quack which is just so cute haha.
    The smaller one keeps raising itself up really tall, it's making me think Runner but there wasn't any in with the parents so I honestly have no idea. It also looks nothing like its sibling..
    I actually contacted the lady who sold them to me and she insists that they're purebred welsh harlequins. hmm...
    Here's some more up to date pictures [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  10. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    The one in the bottom like like its part runner. And if one is starting to quack it's a girl. Boys can't quack at all and will keep on peeping till all of a sudden they sound like frogs and are raspy. Females get their voices first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by