Welsh Harlequin

I ordered them from Metzer Farms. The whole minimum charge thing kind of sucked, but I understand it's necessary to add the heating pack when shipping so few birds. And I don't have the accommodations to keep a large number of birds, so I only got six and just paid the extra charge. I also paid the extra charge for sexing because I wanted a couple pairs of different breeds.

Good luck with them. I'm sure you'll love them!

So we have many ducks, but only 1 female WH and she lays her eggs waaayy smaller than our others. Her eggs are the size of chicken silkie eggs. Is this normal?? She's about 8 months old. The older she getts will her eggs get bigger, or are WH's just a small laying breed??
We have both adult 2 year old and new layers. The new layers have smaller eggs but not the size of silky eggs, more the size of regular chicken eggs. The older WH lay very big eggs. We can not close the carton.

Peepnquack- How long has she been laying? It takes some time to get adjusted. My gal started laying at 24 weeks...

THese are the first 3 she laid.

Sorry- couldn't help the chance to post my sweets. (Swayze & Baby)

Now I can't fit more than 1 or 2 in my hand max. They are getting bigger a little at a time. Make sure you are feeding a high quality food or size may stay small.

Here are my ducklings! A week old today. After getting all the way through this thread, I really enjoyed seeing pictures of the ducklings, and then updated pictures of them full grown. Watching their coloring develop has been really neat! Anyhow, here are mine. 1 drake, and 6 hens all WH from Metzer Farms. One of them was so much lighter than the others, that I am wondering if she is a Gold phase. Also, of the other 5 my male is really light colored as well and seems to have more brown. Do you think he looks to be a gold phase? Or is it just too early to tell?

Aw... the above picture melts me. I named the light colored one Goldie, I would love it if she were a Gold phase.Here is another picture of her. Because we can tell her apart, she is getting lots of attention. I try to handle them all every day, but sometimes I wonder if I am actually handling the same females because they all look so much alike! Their leg tape is falling off and I would like to find a way to distinguish the females that look alike. :)

Goldie and my drake below

I just love them. :)

That is just a big pile o' cute!
love.gif

Yes! She is a gold phase. I got one, too. Now she is sitting on eggs. Best news? Only the golds will be females so when they hatch I'll know right away if any are the same. LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom