Welsh Harlequin

We are considering getting some Welsh Harliquins. I had some questions. Do the fly?? I want to keep them in with my Pekins and they are in an open pen. Just wanna make sure I dont get into trouble with them flying away.

Mine don't. I'm sure that certain ones could get a few feet off the ground. I have Muscovies who fly and khaki Campbell's who attempt to but the welsh don't do anything but run and swim.

Just had to join this group. I LOVE Welsh Harlequins!!!!
love.gif
They were kind of by accident my first ever ducks, I hatched them out and the one that survived was a absolutely gorgeous drake whom I named Mr. Dick (from David Copperfield) was such a goof ball friendly quirky just the best. I haven't had Welsh's for 2 years now and am super excited I just ordered 8 of them (and 4 Anconas) from Cackle. BUT............. I won't get them til April.... Sigh, such a long time away.
roll.png

Sorry for rambling but I've been watching this thread for a while and decided to join.
big_smile.png

I have one that could easily fly herself out of the fence, but it would probably startle her to find herself on one side of the fence and the rest of the
flock on the other. I have one mix 1/2 WH and 1/2 Cayuga, he can fly. We clipped everyone just for safety sake. Wouldn't do to have one out
of the electric fence around here. Red Tail hawk and Red foxes would be happy to dispatch them.

But what I love about them is that they really are very docile if you raise them from day old ducklings. They might do a little running when I need to catch them, but nothing to crazy and if I have meal worm treats, they are all to happy to come in close to gobble them out of your hand. I often get a closer look at feet, wings, etc. by using that ploy.

Just be prepared to be pooped on. I think my Welshies thing it's a funny gag to wait till we are all done with the inspection, just about to put them
down and low and behold I've got duck poop going down my jean leg.

All that being said, I wouldn't give them up, they have been excellent layers and very sweet temperaments. Not really squawky either. The loudest they get is when they think it's getting late and they haven't had treats or like now, I have a girl in the kitchen, with an oviduct infection, and her buddy misses her, so once a day we get the two of them talking to each other through the house walls.

Good luck with your selection.

Best,

Liz

They are so cute! Glad you had the idea to go to the post office. You never know what might have happened to them! Whew!

Fingers crossed that in spite of some wild temp flucuations the past few days my 7 WH eggs are still alive.... This is my first time hatching ducks; they are due the 16th.

Good Luck on yours!!!!

Today I sent eggs home with a friend to incubate for me.

My small flock has been together for over a month now so, any that hatch will be 100% pure WH.

I started to collect them on the 24th or 25th....we were getting around 3 per day. Soooo we are hoping to get a few to hatch!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom